• Register Today It's free!

Help. Rear rotors

dent

Reaction score
City, State
toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Trying to replace my wheel bearing today and I cannot get the rear rotor off. The manual says there's a screw holding the rotor but on mine there isn't one. Tried usual tapping with a hammer but no luck.

When I look at where the center hub mates to the center of the rotor, there's usual a gap but I cannot even see that.

Any suggestions?

Edit: it's a 13 explorer limited

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bigger hammer.
Seriously. If the screw is removed, it might take a large amount of beating to get the rotors off.
I just replaced my rear brakes and I had to beat the hell out of rotors to get them to come off the hub.
Maybe spray the inner diameter and back of the rotor(where it contacts the hub) with PB blaster and let it soak a little while.

Maybe spray the inner diameter and back of the rotor(where it contacts the hub) with PB blaster and let it soak a little while.

Ditto,

Perhaps after letting it soak, hold tension on the top and bottom alternately and tap on the face of the hub.

Your trying to make it rock back and forth to free it up.

Are you sure there is not a screw in the face anywhere holding the rotor to the hub?

Beating on rotors with a BFH is a great way to damage your wheel bearings (and potentially other parts), but it doesn't stop DIYers or techs from doing it.

Some people like to use heat (torch) on the center of the hub, but that too can damage bearings (and potentially other parts) if you get carried away.

Some people put bolts through the caliper bolt holes in a makeshift attempt to put pressure on the rotors and work them off the hub spindle. (like this -> How to remove rusted rotors). Use a penetrating oil and let is soak overnight if possible.

Some rotors have threaded holes in them where you can insert bolts and alternately tighten them a little at a time to slowly push the rotor off the hub spindle (I don't recall OEM explorer rotors having these).

I live in MI and I inspect my brakes every year - lube contact points/caliper slides, remove rotors to apply anti-seize, etc...

Thanks guys. There definitely is no screw or hole.

Tired heating it, banging from the inside, Pb blaster on center hub. I don't care if I ruin the bearings as they're the reason for trying to get the rotors off.

Guess I'll keep banging on it hoping to get it off.

Then the next pain... Hub assembly

Edit: been wrenching on cars for 30 years now and first time I came across this kind of design.. What a silly, dumb design

spin the rotor every few hits and smash the back with a sledge, make sure you have a new rotor to go back on.

Tired heating it, banging from the inside, Pb blaster on center hub. I don't care if I ruin the bearings as they're the reason for trying to get the rotors off.

Edit: been wrenching on cars for 30 years now and first time I came across this kind of design.. What a silly, dumb design
I've been working on my vehicles for about the same time and the explorer brakes seem like a similar/common design to most others. What was so weird about yours?

If you have an angle grinder or can get one on the cheap (~$10 from harbor freight), you may be able to grind on the rotor near the hub pilot area and reduce the amount of beating you have to do with a hammer. Even though you are replacing the wheel bearing, it would suck to inadvertently end up damaging any other parts by beating on stuff with sledge hammers...

Some people put bolts through the caliper bolt holes in a makeshift attempt to put pressure on the rotors and work them off the hub spindle. (like this -> How to remove rusted rotors). Use a penetrating oil and let is soak overnight if possible.

I used the bolt method mentioned above on my EX and it worked out well. Had to put a flange nut on backwards on the end of the bolt to make enough surface contact with the back of the rotor as it was close to the edge.

Well it's been a week and I for one would like to know how the rotor challenge is going. Last week I too pounded the rotor to ring it loose. Had to whack it hard on the bottom. Replaced pads, lubed brake pad cradle and hub with neverseize. Mine were OEM a good 6 years from factory. All factory rotors are assembled the same. One phillips screw to hold em on while on the line. I had to drill and chip mine apart. Rotors are not cheap anymore so I recommend a yearly maintenance and disassembly/lube to keep from destroying them just to change pads. Oh yea. Toss the retainer screw.

I was stumped with the screw/push caliper return. Always just used a c-clamp.
What caused the bearings to go?

what i ended up doing was getting a bolt that would fit through the calipers holes. put a nut on the end to protect rotor from the nut threads and to protect the treads. put another nut with washers and started to use the bolt as a leaver to push the rotor off.

similar to this:

what i ended up doing was getting a bolt that would fit through the calipers holes. put a nut on the end to protect rotor from the nut threads and to protect the treads. put another nut with washers and started to use the bolt as a leaver to push the rotor off.

similar to this:

curious about the rotor assembly screw. If yours did not have one was there a hole where one might be used? Is this the OEM rotor?

curious about the rotor assembly screw. If yours did not have one was there a hole where one might be used? Is this the OEM rotor?

My rotor did not have a screw hole of any sort and the rotor has never been replaced so it's OEM

My rotor did not have a screw hole of any sort and the rotor has never been replaced so it's OEM
Did your hub have an assembly screw hole? I thought all of the 5th gens had assembly screws securing the rotors, so it would be odd for one to slip through the factory without them. Are you sure the brakes have never been replaced on your vehicle?

hub assembly did have a hole but no holes on either rotors on the rear

I've owned the car since new and have never had any service done to the rears.

maybe it's a Canadian thing ;)

Back