City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer
Hello

I need some help and I'm hoping someone can help me out and save me some time

While RAMDONLY driving My 2002 sport trac it dies

When I try to crank it over, I get no clicking noise etc

After checking the fuses I realize I blew the Powertrain control fuse, I replace the fuse and truck fires right up

I'm assuming I have a short somewhere

Any thoughts or ideas will be greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes a short would cause the fuse to blow
maybe the fuse blew before, and a smaller one was put in place ??? (was the fuse the right size?)
the short could be anywhere the circuit supplies power, I don't know where the power goes from the fuse.
if anything extra was added to the truck from that fused circuit, I would check there first.
any place the wire harness with that circuit in it rubs, I would check
aftermarket remote starter would be a good place if installed.

The fuse size is correct (30 maxi)

Not sure if this related to my issue but my fuel gauge stopped working

I guess it's time to chase wires

Thanks for responding

Yes, it's related. The fuel gauge "sending unit" is part of the fuel pump. Make sure you can hear the pump "hum" for a second or two when you turn the key to "on" position. Your fuel pump may be on it's way out(randomly dies) or a wiring problem(short). I'm not sure though that if the fuel pump is not working, the sending unit still can work or not though. They do share the same fuse(power wire) though. I would get under the ST and start checking the wiring very closely for a wire that may have gotten the insulation rubbed off and causing a random short when the wire is bouncing around while your driving and shorting out on metal. Double check the fuel pump relay fuse and fuel pump relay in the box under hood. Also, check the fuse for the (EVAP/HO2S/Transmission). On my 2003 it's fuse 41. This is the fuse my fuel tank unit(pump/gauge sender) power comes from. weird

BUT, no clicking noise while trying to start? Hmmm. So, sometimes it starts and everything is fine? Then, dies. No click. .. Not a fuel pump issue if you have no click as well. PCM fuse blowing does not sound good to me. I would think if the PCM fuse blew nothing would work at all. except maybe the cluster. Like you said, short somewhere or bad ground. PCM loose and not grounded some how? fuse box not grounded well-check ground cable from battery negative to body.
Sorry though, this is a little over my head.

I appreciate your feedback and help

I have to drop the tank to check the sending unit and replace it along with fuel pump.

I'll check the wiring to the fuel pump then go frm there

It's time to trace some wires

Thanks again

Back