2002 sport trac died while driving - wont restart | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 sport trac died while driving - wont restart

robsport

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford sport trac
My 2002 ST - going to work (in a snow storm), truck died at an intersection - cranked over as normal just wouldn't fire up. Had it towed to a garage, they didn't look at it for 2 days. They put it in the bay, cranked it and it started after a couple tries. They took it for a spin, it died - found the fuel pump fuse popped - replaced it and it started back up. Back at the shop they let it run for 3 hours - no issue - for giggles they replaced the fuel pump relay (justify the $$ they charged me) - had it back for a few days, no problems, again, going to work - not even a mile from my house it died again, hasn't restarted --- what I've done :replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, verified the inertia switch (removed and jumped the connector too) - kind of thinking it's not fuel delivery - so I replaced the coil pack to (short $$ so I said why not) - - can anyone tell me what next I should look at ?

CKP sensor?

On my 2000 SOHC V6 the PCM disables the fuel pump in Start or Run if the crankshaft isn't sensed as rotating as reported by the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor. You might try disconnecting/reconnecting the CKP sensor connector a couple times to clean the contacts.

still no go

thanks for the input,,,, but I checked on both and still no go,,, verified the crank sensor itself w/ code reader - it's seeing rpm's while cranking - O2 sensor wiring is sound/ pretty clean - still pulling my hair out over this....

Back