• Register Today It's free!

01 sport trac dies

flyer1ace

Reaction score
City, State
Gresham, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport trac
Everytime I put my sport trac into park it dies on me. it just started doing it about a week ago, i have kind of noticed a little bit of an uneven idle to. any ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Everytime I put my sport trac into park it dies on me. it just started doing it about a week ago, i have kind of noticed a little bit of an uneven idle to. any ideas.

Hey a Portlander! lol
Is your truck throwing a code (check engine light?)
How the truck even made a howling (fog horn) type sound at idle when it's warm out?
Might want to post this in the 4.0L section too since these Explorers all use the same engine ;)

No the check engine hasn't come on yet and i haven't notice any howling noise, I'll listen a little closer tomorrow see if i can hear anything. Thanks for the advice.

Search
on
IAC.

That's what I was getting at. Normally that kind of thing is caused by a bad IAC (Idle Air Control valve). Usually people here the loud foghorn type noise before, but not always. Search it though, sometimes cleaning it helps, in my case it made it worse so I just replaced it. About $45 from Napa, it's 2 bolts and a gasket, super easy.
Good luck

My original IAC failed by sticking closed and caused the problem described in the OP.

My replacement IAC makes the Woooo noise, but maintains idle speed perfectly.

Go Figure.

Thanks guys I'll trying cleaning the IAC tonight, I'll let you know if it works

Back