Help the new guy out with his audio wiring... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help the new guy out with his audio wiring...

FLORIDA EX

Reaction score
City, State
Sarsoata, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
Hey y'all this is my first post here, I'm putting in 2 infinity 12" in a box that I'm going to build this weekend in the trunk of my EX, in the past, I've had audio shops hook up my systems because, quite frankly, I dont get all that wiring, but I wire all my own lights and stuff up in my jeep so I think I should be able to figure out how to do a little audio stuff on my own... I'm just looking for some help / diagrams / advice on what I need to do in order to wire my amp into my factory 6 changer head unit. Its the EB premium one if that helps at all. If I'm better off just taking it to the shop, I'll do that but I'd like to know what I need in terms of parts to set it all up myself. Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Is this to replace a stock subwoofer or are you adding a new subwoofer to the stock system? Are you adding only sub-woofer speakers or do you also have an amplifier you need setup to run these 12" Infinity's?

Sorry for not being more specific... I have a factory subwoofer, but I would like to disconnect it and install my new 600w amp and 2 12" subs... does that make it more clear?

Be careful!!!!!

Generally to hook up an amp to a stock head unit you are going to need a line output converter (splices into speaker output wire). You CANNOT use the wiring for the existing stock sub as this not only will underpower your amp and sub likely damaging them, but as well as runing the risk of causing a fire from over draw on the wire. Although using a converter and different subs will sound better, the catch 22 with the converter is that the subs will not hit at their optimum sound range and will more than likely have distortion again running the risk of blowing them. This all sounds confusing I know but it in all actuality isn't that bad. Your best bet would be to bite the bullet and use a nice after market head unit witha seperate control for the subs, this will optimize the use the speakers as well as the subs making for a much higher quality sound. I replaced my stock head unit installed an amp and sub which took all of about two hours, using the stock speakers it sounds incredible. whew lots of typing......

Back