Wanted - Help! Undercarriage Photos | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted Help! Undercarriage Photos

Parts or services wanted

w6bauer

Reaction score
City, State
Carmel, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
Dropped my 02 Explorer off to have the transmission rebuilt in 3 or four days. 3 Months later the guy wouldnt return my call so I showed up with trailer and picked it up. He said he had it apart three different times and it was "a ford" nightmare. Whatever. I took truck back up to pull the transmission out and bring it to someone else to rebuild. The first guy told me he does hundreds of these a year. Yeah right. When I got the truck back to the barn I noticed quite a few bolts laying on trailer. Looked under the truck and it appears there are many parts missing. I need some pictures of the underside to verify. Im looking behind the radius arms and there are two bolt holes on either side that now have no bolts, seems like there should be a crossmember here. Im looking at the crossmember that holds the transfer case up and there is one bolt on the passenger side and three on the driver, the other four are broke off in frame. There are two holes on the passenger side of the same crossmember that seem like there is supposed to be some sort of plastic clips that hold a shield in place. There are four studs on the back of the transfer case that have nothing on them, does something go here? There is two bellhousing bolts missing, 3 transfer case bolts and a heat shield bolt missing on the drivers side! Can someone post some pictures of what these pieces are supposed to look like. Just bought the truck with the tranny out of it and was trying to get it fixed, so Im not exactly sure what its supposed to look like underneath. Beware of :thumbdwn:INDIANAPOLIS TRANSMISSION:thumbdwn:, these guys are the ultimate hackmires. Kind of chapped my ass, kinda makes me laugh. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Will

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if this will help but i have some service diagrams of the crossmember/transmission hardware

s4nusenfilea0076107gifg.gif

s4nusenfilea0082444gifg.gif

Yes that helps a lot thank you. A couple more questions...on the passenger side frame rail in front of the transmission crossmember there are two holes that look like something was mounted there. Does anyone know what this is? Also is there anything that is supposed to be mounted on the four studs on the back of the transfer case? Thanks

WILL

Beware of :thumbdwn:INDIANAPOLIS TRANSMISSION:thumbdwn:, these guys are the ultimate hackmires. Kind of chapped my ass, kinda makes me laugh. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Well, from their website:

When you bring your vehicle into , you can rest assured that your automobile has been placed in to the hands of competent, trustworthy transmission repair professionals. We only hire the best and we strive to always satisfy our customers.

Each transmission technician here at is highly qualified and experienced in all areas of transmission maintenance, repair and replacement. They are considered experts in the service of all components of a vehicle’s drive train, as well as all types of transmissions, including standard and automatic conventional, front wheel and even four wheel drives.

pledges it will not remove a transmission from any vehicle in order to complete a diagnosis unless absolutely necessary and with the approval of the customer. If necessary, there will be no expense incurred to the customer.

So, from the awesome grammar, forgetting to actually insert the company's name into the form before posting and their apparent commitment to the best service ever- you must be mistaken. :D

I wonder if they are related to Indy Mustang... Good Lord that place was a trainwreck. Sorry about your issues though- hope you get 'er buttoned up!

Sorry To Hear About Your Problems With Them , Welcome To The Forum , I Drive Through Indy Alot going To see My Family In IL , Hope You Get it Fixed In a Timely Manner and Don't Have Too hard of a Time doing So

Also is there anything that is supposed to be mounted on the four studs on the back of the transfer case? Thanks

The only thing on the back of the TC that has 4 nuts would be the vibration diamper (#5/6 in pic)

s4nusenfilea0081875gifg.gif

The only thing on the back of the TC that has 4 nuts would be the vibration diamper (#5/6 in pic)

s4nusenfilea0081875gifg.gif

Thanks...im not too sure as to why the damper was removed...yet another part to buy.

Any suggestions as to removing broken bolts inside frame? I've tried just breaking the nuts out of frame rail so I could just stick bolts through for the install. They aren't budging. I've tried welding a washer to thebroken bolt, then a nut to the washer, still a no go. I've got the gas tank out now and am about to blow the darn things out with the torch. Is this my best bet?

Thanks

WILL

Hi,
in august 96 Ford didn't install this tc vibration damper anymore.
The reason i don't know, but it would interest me.
Maybe someone give a little light in the dark?

Wolfgang

Back