• Register Today It's free!

help with 4x4

energie

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
so ive read those sticky's about problems with 4x4 not working but it still doesnt answer my question and doesnt help narrow it down
so here it is
i press 4x4, the light sometimes come on first try, or a few times after, i hear clicking in the rear, the light comes on. but nothing happens. i cant tell if its the driveshaft, the hubs, electrical short, like i dont know. im not familiar with 4x4 so can someone help?
i have a 1991 explorer, 4.0L v6, auto transmission, auto hubs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try and get all four wheels off the ground and put it in 4x4 and see if all the wheels turn. Or put it in 4x4 on the ground and get someone to drive it so you look and see if the front driveshaft is turning. Then we can go from there.

okay, will do tomorrow and let you know. thanks. i think i remember turning the front shaft back by hand, until it locked and then it wouldnt move either way after that. im assuming that means the hubs locked?

i think i remember turning the front shaft back by hand, until it locked and then it wouldnt move either way after that. im assuming that means the hubs locked?
That's usually what it means.

i took the transfer case motor out today, couldnt get the two wires off and then i stripped my t20 security bit, lovely, but im assuming the t case motor is ####ed, that one bit the guy talks about in the rebuild, because i got someone to press the 4x4 button, it started making noise and stuff but never moved the shaft that connects to the transfer case, so would it be the tcase motor?

Back