Help with an Explorer Audio Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with an Explorer Audio Question

Bryan Snipes

Reaction score
City, State
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
1997 Ford Explorer XLT ….I will start by saying I know very little about the installation of aftermarket audio equipment in cars. Cost is the number one objective for me.

My aftermarket kicker subwoofer is not working (4ohm) I checked the speaker itself and it works. I then assume it might be the subwoofer amp or even possibly the amplifier itself. I took the rear paneling off of the interior and now I am basically lost. My first question is the two boxes beside the subwoofer, are the Subwoofer Amplifier (Directly beside) and the front and rear speaker amplifier next? If correct and I wanted to replace both of these amps with one multichannel amp could I accomplish this without changing the head unit and using the power supplied to the factory amp? Thanks in advance for the help…Bryan

Dude, first off, I see that you're pretty new.. Thats cool, welcome! Try doing a basic audio search for your rig, most of the time you can find the answers you need as well as gain some usefull tips... I myself mad the same questions (audio) and thats actually why i joined the forum. Give it a go and let us know.

I assumed you would know I was new to this. I have been looking at the archieves and have found several useful tips. Since you have an XLT yourself did you replace the factory amp with an aftermarket amp using the wiring harnesses running to the factory unit? Thanks Bryan

Back