Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gilbert, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Callsign
N0FJC
I had my service engine soon codes read today.

I got P0171, P0174, and P0300.

In english that is lean bank 1, lean bank 2, and Multiple cylider misfire.

A tune up and new O2 sensors was recommended.

Does this sound reasonable?

What would cause a multiple cylinder misfire? The engine sounds and feels smooth.

Also, when you get a lean reading, does that mean the O2 sensors are bad, or does that mean they read a lean condition and are working fine?

I think this thing has 4 O2 sensors, so I really dont want to replace them unless I have to.

I have a 2000 Explorer Sport with the 4.0 SOHC.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you cleaned the MAS? Also check to make sure there are no cracks in the intake tube between the MAS and the Throttle Body. How many miles on the Ex?

It only has 37,000 miles on it.

I did get misfires and lean reading codes too, replacing a specific 02 fixed (bank2 upstream). The other is already going thou. Do clean the MAF as it is not expensive... if all else fails replace only the upstream 02s (up by the cats). The other ones do not affect you air/fuel mixture. Replacement and tune up are not going to hurt anything, espically at nearly 40k miles. If you do take it in, it is also a good idea to have a trannie-flush performed about every 30k miles.
Sounds like a reasonable solution to me.

The lean codes along with the misfires, also indicates an intake manifold leak. There was a recall notice on the intake O-rings on earlier SOHC's; not sure about the 00.

Well, I did look up the TSBs. All the codes are listed. The fix seems rather major though. Were talking getting at teh intake and exhaust springs.

Since I just fell out of warrantee, I would guess I have to pay for the fix, right?

Hook up an OBD II scanner and determine the readings of each O2 sensor.

Originally posted by ntrpriz

Since I just fell out of warrantee, I would guess I have to pay for the fix, right?

If it is covered under 00M12 and/or 01M01, then the warranty for the affected parts is extended to 72K.

Originally posted by ntrpriz
I had my service engine soon codes read today.

I got P0171, P0174, and P0300.

In english that is lean bank 1, lean bank 2, and Multiple cylider misfire.
. . .

Ntrpriz - If you are still having problems (I know it's been a month, but I'm just getting to this thread) I can read your codes and O2 sensors all for the price of $0. I live in Mesa, so if you need the codes read some time send me a PM. As far as the codes you got, either the leaking lower intake manifold o-rings can cause this (covered to 6 years, 72K miles through OHP 00M12 as others have pointed out, or a dirty/contaminated MAF sensor can cause this. Either will make both cylinders run lean. Forget replacing the O2 sensors (if you haven't done them yet). You have 4, and the likelyhood of all 4 failing at 37K is about as likely as Ford giving you a new, Explorer for free for your troubles.

Back