Help with crank but no start problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with crank but no start problem

Brant Whitman

Reaction score
City, State
OH - Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explore 4.0 V6
I have a 03 Ford explorer 4.0 2wd was driving out of driveway everything was running fine and with no warning it shut off. I changed the crankshaft position sensor and checked fuel pressure it was 60 psi what else would cause it to crank but not start

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

About 2 dozen things. Checking the codes would help. Air, fuel, spark. Check those first.
Plus, putting this post in the forum section for your generation Explorer would be a good idea too.

Moved to proper forum.

Where do I need to post it I am new to this

It's where it needs to be now. I moved it. You have an '03, and this is in the 02-05 section.

Could the key be my problem. If chip in key is bad will it turn the explorer over with spark from coil but not let the gas pass through the injectors

There are no codes to go by and I used a check light on the injectors and there is power there

I know almost nothing about this generation Explorer, but when I first read your post, the PATS system came to mind. So your question about the key chip ties into that. I suggest finding the thread on pats, I think it's called Everything you ever wanted to know about the PATS system, and see if anything in there fits with your issue.

Long shot since you measured good fuel pressure, but the inertia switch and connector have been known
to cause intermittent no start issues, even without a jolt or accidentally kicking it. Easy enough to check. GL.
The fuel pump shut-off switch is a device intended to stop the electric fuel pump when your vehicle has been involved in a substantial jolt. After a collision, if the engine cranks but does not start, the fuel pump shut-off switch may have been activated.

Fuel Pump Shut Off (Inertia) Switch (Pages 181-182)
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/03expog5e.pdf

I checked the fuel shut off switch... How do I do a compression test and what should the specs be....and do I have to disconnect fuel system before doing this

Back