• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer No Start Problem

Z3bass

Reaction score
City, State
Elk Grove, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
Hello, I have a 2004 Explorer, 4.8 L V8 Eddie Bauer, that I have a problem with. Yesterday morning I went to start the car and the battery was dead, It wouldn't jump start so I bought a new battery, put it in, turned the key and nothing (no crank, no clicking, nothing). All the lights, radio, and everything else worked as normal however, one thing I noticed was that with the keys out and the doors shut, the dash cluster lights would not turn off and when I double click the lock button on the key fob the doors would lock but the horn would not sound as it normally would.

After doing some research online, I came to the conclusion that I had a possible issue with the Anti Theft PATS system. I found a way to bypass the system by leaving the key in the ignition in the on position, rolling down the window, unhooking the battery, hooking it back up, sticking my arm threw the window, turning the key off then back on. In doing so, I was able to start the car BUT then the car would NOT turn off with the key turned off, out and out out of the ignition. I had to pull the fuse to the fuel pump to get it to turn off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Do you have any kind of after-market car alarm or remote start system on the car?

No, everything is stock.

Back