Blazin8556's 97 X | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blazin8556's 97 X

My 1997 Ford Explorer XLT AWD 5.0. Purchased for $500. It had been sitting for a year with a blown head gasket. Installed on it when i got it was overload springs, air shocks and lines, 31" BFG, and a trailer brake controller (which is no longer in the truck due to an almost accident it caused when the ground line wrapped itself around the steering shaft).

So far i have done a short console swap out of a 2 door manual shift which made me loose my cd changer. I swapped in a 2000 cd/tape deck and installed an ashtray/power point from a ranger/explorer (purchased from ebay).

Looking around on here i found a couple of things that i am planning on doing. which is a M5R2 manual transmission (reason for short console) and an electronic 4406 transfer case. i already put in the GEM for a 96 4x4.

As far as lighting goes. so far i have only put on an auxilary tractor light on the back bumper wired into the reverse lights. I would like to have a brush guard of some kind with lights on it and a roof basket with a couple of lights and put my spare on top.

Wheels i would like are just some cheap factory steel wheels that are sanded and powder coated or just painted black. That way if i bend a rim i can easily find a new match and won't be out of much money.

will have pics as soon as i figure out how to link them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it gives u a code and then u can copy & paste the code and the pics should show up on here.

the x before i pulled the side skirts off. i already took off the door bump guards.
IMAG0181.jpg

after the skirts removed
ex.jpg

full console removed
IMAG0183.jpg

dash waiting on stereo
IMAG0184.jpg

96 GEM going in
IMAG0190.jpg

new short console. was originally tan. primed and painted it grey with interior plastic paint.
IMAG0196.jpg

Need an armrest.
IMAG0198.jpg

ash tray for a ranger. i need something for this vent issue. either delete it or cover it or something.
ashtray.jpg

4x lights flash, for now.
4wdlights.jpg

2000 cd player installed
2kinstalled.jpg

anyone got any ideas on what to do with the center vent. is there a different vent assembly or something that can fit in there? also isn't there a plastic cover that covers the open carpet area and this vent tube.

4x4 bezel installed. old bezel for sale in the for sale section. 4x lights stopped flashing constantly when i plugged in the switch.
IMAG0231.jpg

got my cb radio attached.
IMAG0230.jpg

From what I heard you will love the 4406 swap. Plus you will have the on the fly shift knob, which is so convenient. There are write ups with the manual 4406 I believe. I would assume the shafts and everything would be the same as the manuals. Might was to check out those if you haven't.

Look's great and you've done heap's of stuff already. I like that shorty centre console. If you took a few measurement's of that vent you could probably find something at the junkyard that you could paint to match your interior and trim to fit. Coming along nicely tho' mate:thumbsup:

i looked at the manual tcase for a long time. then decided that since the truck is already wired for the electric one it would save me some trouble and just plug in all the parts. the 4406 finally came in. i wasn't at my apartment, i was at my new house working on my shop and the maintenance man called me and said he had to help fedex unload it. now i need drive shafts.

thanks for the comments...

i think i need to take the overload springs off. will it affect offroading?

You might get abit more flex but on road she could get a bit squirrely in the arse.

You might get abit more flex but on road she could get a bit squirrely in the arse.

even with the aftermarket air shocks?

on another note. i towed a loaded to the gills 8 foot trailer. had a riding mower, rear tine tiller, push mower, generator, 3 tool boxes all on the trailer, and had the entire cargo area loaded to the roof. towed all this for an hour at 70. and i was pleased with how it did. i tried not to stress anything on the truck. this is a huge improvement over coming out of a 97 2 door v6 blazer that struggled with the same trailer empty.

this is a huge improvement over coming out of a 97 2 door v6 blazer that struggled with the same trailer empty.

I bet. My family is mainly GM, my parents have an olds bravada, and my brother a blazer, both with the 4.3. I bet the 5.0 is a big improvement. I have the SOHC, and its also faster, and more powerful than either. The fords have stronger motors, but those 4.3s do run forever. The bravada has 146k, and its been whooped on, and has internal motor damage from the intake gasket failing at 80k, still chuggin along though.

I towed 3000lbs with the bravada, and it seemed to struggle about the same as my explorer did towing the bravada, which wasn't terrible, but you could definitely tell it was there haha

even with the aftermarket air shocks?

Not dead certain mate, just going by some other experiences I've read about. Easy to just bung it back on if you're not happy anyway! Glad she's working out as a tow rig too.

my fav pic of the truck

170287_1682949746583_1022764256_31557169_3183080_o.jpg

I got hit by a deer. Cruising on my way to work on the interstate and i saw him running across the road. I was in the fast lane letting someone merge. Thought I was gonna nail him with the front of tge truck so I slowed down to minimize damage. Saw i was gonna miss him I let off the brakes. The deer still hit me. Ran into the passenger back door. The truck next to me had gotten on the shoulder. Everyone and everything was ok. I think the deer kept going, but with a head ache. My ex just has a scuff mark and that's it.

The 5spd swap, would be sweet, I have the explorer engine in my ranger with the 5spd swapped in and 4406 and love it!

I got hit by a deer. Cruising on my way to work on the interstate and i saw him running across the road. I was in the fast lane letting someone merge. Thought I was gonna nail him with the front of tge truck so I slowed down to minimize damage. Saw i was gonna miss him I let off the brakes. The deer still hit me. Ran into the passenger back door. The truck next to me had gotten on the shoulder. Everyone and everything was ok. I think the deer kept going, but with a head ache. My ex just has a scuff mark and that's it.

Bloody deer's! Good stuff that all is fine. Lucky!!!

i guess basically i need help putting together a parts list.

I don't know much about engine internal's but there might be some kit's available that have what you need?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back