• Register Today It's free!

help with gas milage

ducksplus

Reaction score
City, State
arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt 4x4
I have read and done searches so please dont bash me on this question about searching.... Im getting about 10 mpg with my 91 4x4 ex with 180k... i have done theses things to it.

cleaned maf
cleaned idle air sensor
new plugs
cleaned intake

my check engine comes on about 10 minutes after i start the engine...
im just wanting some direct imput to MY situation..WHAT CAN I do to improve my milage... 200 miles to a 19 gallon tank is not good enough for me...
my ex is not a ragged out one either!! It Has been taken very very good care of... So i feel like it has to be something simple killing my milage....

Thanks in advance..
MIke

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ducksplus said:
I have read and done searches so please dont bash me on this question about searching.... Im getting about 10 mpg with my 91 4x4 ex with 180k... i have done theses things to it.

cleaned maf
cleaned idle air sensor
new plugs
cleaned intake

my check engine comes on about 10 minutes after i start the engine...
im just wanting some direct imput to MY situation..WHAT CAN I do to improve my milage... 200 miles to a 19 gallon tank is not good enough for me...
my ex is not a ragged out one either!! It Has been taken very very good care of... So i feel like it has to be something simple killing my milage....

Thanks in advance..
MIke

That mileage hurts; ouch.

Did you replace the spark plug wires too? How is the alignment? Tire pressure? Have you cleaned the Throttle Body? How do you drive?

Also, you might want to run a can of Sea Foam thought the intake. Consider a switch to synthetic fluids.

Good luck ..........

i didnt replace the wires.. i have cleaned the throttle body...tire pressure is 34psi...i drive easy.. i ran sea foam through it a few months back..

ducksplus said:
Imy check engine comes on about 10 minutes after i start the engine...

I'd lay big Vegas odds that your problem is either O2 sensor or Fuel Pressure Regulator related, or both.

thanks about the reply..
im going to try to change the o2 sensor... soon

mike

ducksplus said:
thanks about the reply..
im going to try to change the o2 sensor... soon

mike

Don't just replace sensors without knowing if indeed they are the problem. Get the code(s) read.

where can i get them read..

Since you are pre OBD II, you can read them yourself. Someone will tell you how, I have never done it and don't know.

Good luck ..........

Instructions for pulling EEC-IV codes can be found at www.fordfuelinjection.com or any of a number of other websites (google Ford EEC-IV self-test) or any self-respecting repair manual. All you need is a paper clip or other form of jumper wire.

ducksplus said:
where can i get them read..

AutoZone stores will read them for free. Some other stores like that may read them for free as well.

You can also buy an EEC-IV code reader, about $30 I think.

They're right though, you should really get the code read to know what the problem might be. You don't want to spend $40/each on an O2 sensor or $80 on a FPR if you don't really need one.

Back