• Register Today It's free!

Help with idling problems

Arrecife

Reaction score
City, State
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLS, 09 EB
Help!!!!! My '99 XLS will start without any problems, but will not idle. Earlier I would idle high (1500 rpm) using the gas pedal until it warmed up then it would idle normally. It does not hiccup, spit, or sputter, just doesn't idle (normally around 500 rpm) Any thoughts or previous experiences on this will be greatly appreciated as this is my "do everything with vehicle". Thanks in advance.:salute:

Try cleaning your IAC (Idle Air Control Valve). Cleaning doesn't always do the trick (Had to replace mine after cleaning), but definitely try it before replacing. It also could be your intake manifold gaskets need replacing. They become brittle with age, but will expand when your engine warms up, which could explain why your idle is fine after warm up.

Idle air control valve

After a brief hiatus due to heart problems I'm back on my feet and took care of the IAC. Cleaned it with a small rag and electrostatic spray cleaner. The truck started right up and idled smoothly. Thanks to all who led me in the correct way to fix it.:D:salute:

Back