Help with intake and Prefilter or outerwears | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with intake and Prefilter or outerwears

specialized7

Reaction score
City, State
saskatoon
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 SPORT
Well iv decided to build a intake for the ex, but i do 4x4 it so thats why i have never built one.

On ebay they sell the intake tube with some cheap filter for about 30 bux.
So im thinking of getting that but id like to change out the filter with a K&N cone.
Now my original worry comes into play, ``what if it gets wet``
Well on all of my Atvs and snowmobiles i have ran a waterproof prefilters over my airfilters.
The two companys that come to mind are K&N pre-chargers and Outerwears prefilters.Search them up if you dont know what im talking about.
But my questions are, is this possible, do you think i would be safe with what would essentially be a cold air intake.
also i cant seem to locate and prefilter that will fit over a K&N cone filter anyone got any ideas.
Also anyone know where to get a K&N cheap.

sorry for the confusing sentences my question mark shows up as É for some reasonÉ
thanks xplorerforum!

Well, I'm running a K&N in my X so I've read about their drychargers. Realize that they're NOT waterproof. Just water resistant.

If you're going custom you can always try to make the intake filter a little higher, but if you're going to go through all the trouble of custom building an intake and you're worried about waterproofing, build a snorkel. There's quite a few threads with really good pics and explanations from others that have custom-made theirs.

I've got an Dead Link Removed on my Volant/MAC hybrid intake setup on my 5.0. Dead Link Removed. They're NOT waterproof. Just another layer of filtration. Keeps dust at bay more or less.

Back