• Register Today It's free!

Help with OHMs....

ap81590

Reaction score
City, State
North Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
I have a Kicker L5 12" (600rms, 1200 peak). I'm searching around for a good amp but the OHMs confuse me. The sub is a 2 OHM dual voice coil. I just want some booming bass. Do I need to run the amp with 2 OHMs or 4 OHMs or 1 OHM. I am so confused about all this, all help is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

depends on how you are wiring it up, what wattage you want to push to them and if a certain amp is stable @ what you are trying to drive

I only have 1 12" L5 and I want to push 600watts rms and I want the peak of the amp to be 1200 or so. Thanks

peak wattage doesnt mean anything, it is one of the most pointless measurements on an amp.. anyways, since you have a dual 2 ohm sub i suggest you find a quality 2 channel amp that will do ~600wrms bridged at 4 ohms.

You can run the sub as a 1 ohm mono load, a 4 ohm mono load or a 2 ohm stereo load. I would suggest either a 2ch amp bridged to 4 ohms as above or a 1 or 4 ohm mono subwoofer amplifier, possibly one of the class D, T, X, etc. high efficiency amps to save you the trouble of having to uber upgrade your electrical system. I would look into something with 350-600 watts rms rating at least.

what is the point of running different ohms. i am about to install my new amp and sub with the help of a budy. I have a boss 2-channel 700 rms wat amp which has...
Max power, 2 ohms: 700 watts x 2
RMS power, 4 ohms: 250 watts x 2
Bridged power, 4 ohms: 1400 watts x 1.
I have one 10" 250 sub and am thinking of buying another of the same. how should i run my single 10? and how about the with two 10's? thanks

If you will notice, ohms put more or less load on the amp. Meaning, if there is a 2 ohm load, the amp will work harder and have more output. I have a class D amp that is rated for 800w at a 1 ohm load, however it is 200w RMS at 4 ohms which is perfect for my single 10" sub.

Look at this web site and see if it helps you understand some more. Use the bar on the right side to go to the ohm page.

www.bcae1.com

I have a Kicker L7 15 running at 2 ohms. I'd recommend it at 2 ohms and just use a ported box to get that BOOM you want. I'm using the street bass dimensions for my 15 (4 cubic feet) but I don't know what it is for the 12...just check the kicker website

About ohms and amps : best result will ever be a power-matching use. That means that the impedance of load should match the output impedance of the amp. Don´t run a 1-ohms-circuit on a 2 ohms output, it can cause serious damage - and not all amps are 2 ohms-stable. Check amp manual if yours can do.

You´ll never get a satisfying result running a voltage-match- ( load-impedance higher than amp output impedance ) or current-match-circuitry ( load-imp. lower than amp output impedance ), esp. on current-matching your amp will go clipping very soon and brings no power to the load. ( voicecoils )

Back