• Register Today It's free!

Help with rotor removal!

Keith C.

Reaction score
City, State
Frankfort, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 eddie buaer
Hey need to pull rotors for turning. Problem have had warren manual hubs put on last winter. Now I am not able to remove the rotor assembly nut , etc. to pull rotors. can any one help me.

You cannot remove the nut is that right?
Well did you know that there is a tiny metal key(no not like a lock key,a small piece of metal that i slipped inside a matching groove on the rotor and hub spindle).
Clean all the grease you can away from the nut and use a small screw driver till you find the keyway.Then you need a magnet to remove it while gently turning the nut back and forth,some have been able to use a small pick(like a dentist would use) and have been able to remove it that way.
Goodluck and once you find it it will be easy.

I have the automatic hubs that use a nut with a key so I don't know for sure, but I think I remember reading that the Warn Manual conversion involves adding a lock-nut arrangement that does not make use of a key. Maybe someone that also has the Warns could chime in?

Manual hubs don't use the same locking key. They use a locking ring between the wheel bearing nut and the outer locknut. What are you using to remove the outer locknut? That nut is supposed to be torqued to at least 150 ft. lbs., which means it's pretty tight. MOst jury-rigged attempts to remove this nut won't work because it is so tight. Get a proper socket, a big breaker bar, and lean on it (making sure to turn it CCW).

Back