Help with the right fuel for my Ex. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with the right fuel for my Ex.

andypinto

Reaction score
City, State
Arica, Chile
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT, 2002 XLT
Hi everybody:

I recently bough an Explorer 4x4 XLt 2002 Flexible Fuel (can run with gasoline or ethanol or a mix or both fuels).
The Ex manual states that the gasoline must be regular of 87 octanes.
However, I live in Chile and in my country you can get only 93, 95 and 97 octane fuels, something like "regular" "premium" and "superpremium" gasolines.
Supposedly, the best is the 97 octanes, and in fact is the most expensive one, because contains cleaning additives and other misterious stuff, but I'm concerned of use them, because the knocking problem caused by high octane gasolines. I own an 1992 XLT Explorer also and allways fill with 93 octanes, and only in rare cases I noticed that the engine knocks.
Any advise about this subject?
Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english. I'm a selftaught in this language.

Andy:chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the owners manual states a MINIMUM octane rating of 87. Anything above that is OK. Stick with the 93.

yeah its no problem to run high octane i have ran 112 octane leaded racing gas in my 4.0 OHV engine and it didnt do a damn thing except burn alot quicker haha

Hey, I'm not mechanic but if your manual says 87 octane, use 87 octane. There are different tunings a car can have and if yours is tuned for 87, you may not get the best performance from anything else.

I used to own a Saab. The manual said 87 but I always used 91 or 93. After a few years, I had a 2 year old car that sounded more like a lawnmower.

I could be wrong but I don't think so.

Thanks for the info, guys.
I can't get 87 octanes fuel in my contry, so I'll be forced to use the next one, 93 octanes, and help me God;)

Andy

Back