• Register Today It's free!

Henson tune actual benefits

Nate_V8

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal, Quebec
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 5L AWD
anyone here with a 5.0 explorer with TMH and a henson tune?

Would like to hear some actual gains. was it worth it? I mean was it worth buyng the tune for how much acceleration you gained? or if anyone has any 1/4 mile gains that would be great! was going to go H/C/I but now I would just like to make around 280hp (crank) if possible, So I'm going TMH, electric fan, true dual exhuast with an H-pipe with straight pipes and 2 cats (no mufflers) then getting a victor street intake so I can swap to a 90mm TB and 24lb injectors. That's all I think I'll ever need. but just want to know benefits of the E-mail tune from henson.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow that's good enough for me! I'll get the tune in after I get the electric fan and exhaust done.

injector upgrade?

. . . So I'm going TMH, electric fan, true dual exhuast with an H-pipe with straight pipes and 2 cats (no mufflers) then getting a victor street intake so I can swap to a 90mm TB and 24lb injectors. That's all I think I'll ever need. but just want to know benefits of the E-mail tune from henson.
Thanks

Changing from 19 to 24lb injectors is a 26% increase at all engine speeds. That's more than your stock tune can compensate for. Your CEL will illuminate and your engine will run poorly because of high richness. Black smoke will come out of your exhaust. Your cats will run hot and your O2 sensors will rapidly fail. You'll definitely need a custom tune to have a useful vehicle.

I'm not that familiar with the 5.0 since I have a SOHC but it's my understanding that the stock injectors are adequate for non-radical normally aspirated engines. Why do you think your injectors are inadequate?

I highly recommend the combination of the tune and TMH. One of my favorite engine ups.

better spray pattern for one which yields better MPG, unless I have the better 19lb injectors.

Of course I know about getting a tune to run new injectors! what do you take me for? lol

better spray pattern

better spray pattern for one which yields better MPG, unless I have the better 19lb injectors. . .
The 24lb tune will decrease your pulse width to maintain stock richness making the timing more critical at the lower rpm you'll use to get good gas mileage. According to my Bosch Fuel Injection & Engine Management book to improve fuel atomization (improves fuel distribution and combustion efficiency) use stock injectors with higher pressure. To increase fuel pressure replace your stock fuel pressure regulator with an adjustable one.

Back