dannytech_lt

Reaction score
City, State
Union nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddie Bauer 5.0
Wondering who has a tune?

I'm spending 90 dollars average a week in gas .. Last week was 110

Really struggling with paying for gas so I need something of a compromise to improve mpg

I've posted in the thread of hensons performance

But who has the tune? Did u get a mpg boost? How much? I'm very light on the throttle and get 14.5 mpg with 15 minute drive to work using city and 15 minute drive highway

I need something to help my gas

My 5.0 Eddie Bauer has 100k miles very well taken care of with a MAC intake .. I've used Chevron fuel system cleaner 3bottles ... And 1 bottle of fuel injector cleaner ..

Penzoil platinum synthetic oil just recently done with a Bosch filter

Spark plugs were done about 10 thousand miles from previous owner

Someone give me some direction what I can do .. I really wouldn't mind tuning the engine to 87 or 89 octane

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has it been tuned or is it the factory tune? Factory tune is for 87 octane.

I want the headers honestly I do but I just got hit with a 2000 dollar bill in top of normal bills , so in my head I'm thinking , if I can cut off 100 bucks on gas a month it'll put more money in my pocket so at least if I throw larger payments towards bills I'll still have that 100 freed up in my pocket

I'm stock on 87octame .. Looking for 2mpg at least
I want the headers but I don't think it'll b in my range

What did the mpg gain get u on the tune? ..and the headers

Financially I'm ok but so many things pop up outta no where

I miss the days in my Honda 6 speed 3.5 accord where 30 bucks would last a week lol

A tune won't help a whole lot, headers helped me more than the tune
X2 The stock exhaust manifolds are really restrictive. The tune won't really do much if you haven't opened that up first.

So to open up the exaust manifold I need to start with headers?

Nothing's ever easy is it ?

You say you spend 100 per week, and want to save 100 per month.

Sorry to say I see no way to improve your economy 25% without at least spending all the money you save trying to do it--

You could ( if this is even possible) spend 1200 in mods, to save 100 per month, but at the end of the year you are in the same spot------

I'd find a Honda 6 speed 3.5 Accord... :)

Or find a small motorcycle to drive on the nice days?

You say you spend 100 per week, and want to save 100 per month.

Sorry to say I see no way to improve your economy 25% without at least spending all the money you save trying to do it--

You could ( if this is even possible) spend 1200 in mods, to save 100 per month, but at the end of the year you are in the same spot------

+1

The amount you spend on mods isn't going to pay off anytime soon because you will likely only see a 2-3 mpg improvement, if that. If gas for the truck is keeping you from paying your bills, sell it and get a geo metro.

I feel bad for you V8 guys I have 4wd and still get 19 city, my C class does that! Your V8 are damn fuel ******!.

Tried upping the air in your tires and changing to syn fluids?

At least with a 5.0 timing chain cassettes are not normal maintenance items. :D

At least with a 5.0 timing chain cassettes are not normal maintenance items. :D

LOL I don't know I haven't had to do it, my motor had the updated tensioners and guides. I am sure it will come though LOL:thumbsup:

+1

The amount you spend on mods isn't going to pay off anytime soon because you will likely only see a 2-3 mpg improvement, if that. If gas for the truck is keeping you from paying your bills, sell it and get a geo metro.

+2

The only way you can justify a tuner for mpg is if you have a diesel. I gained about 4mpg around town and 2-3mpg even towing in my F250, which in long distances can add up. I can tow a 4dr explorer on my car trailer and still average 17mpg on the highway rolling 70-75 mph.

I have a sct turner on my 98 mounty and I prob gained 1-2 mpg with it. It would take 30,000mi to make up for the cost of a tuner on an explorer which most of us won't see in less than 2 years

Some potentially better options, especially if any of these are due for service anyway: (I'm assuming you've already inflated your tires to a good level, probably 35 psi if your tires can handle it)

1. Replace ATF/gear oil with synthetic - probably ~3% combined improvement in FE
2. Fuel efficient tires, such as Goodyear Fuelmax - ~3% improvement
3. Weight reduction. Either remove the spare or replace it with a lightweight alloy rim - 5-10 lb reduction. Only fill up your tank 1/2 way when you get fuel, on average you will drive with 9 gallons less fuel - 54 lb reduction. Running boards are heavy too, about 30-40 lbs each, remove them if you don't use them.
4. People have reported good results from running underdrive pulleys and electric fans. I have an underdrive pulley on my Fiero, results are not dramatic, but it has to help - less energy to drive accessories means less fuel. The Fiero also doesn't have power steering so it's benefit on an Explorer will be greater.
5. Make sure your a/c isn't always running, if you don't need it. Keep the mode selector in "dash vent only" or "floor vent only" - any other mode will have the compressor run.
6. Lower the front of the truck an inch or so using the torsion bar adjustment and install a lower air dam. The 99+ models already have a small dam under the bumper, you can make it larger to better push air around the truck instead of under it. You may need to trim your bumpstops and be careful about your camber, since lowering will increase the negative camber on your front wheels.
7. A "warm air intake" actually improves fuel economy although it's not ideal for maximum horsepower. Less energy is wasted in heating the incoming fuel/air charge. The typical "short ram" intake is a warm air intake.
8. Somewhat dubious - if you do a lot of night driving, LEDs may save you a bit in fuel. Probably about ~100 watts reduction total from changing the exterior parking/marker lights to LED.

stick a hydrogen dry cell on it.

Back