Here’s a new one | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Here’s a new one

"So, going through the motions in my head, and so I know what your saying when turning the key forward, you mean to where the accessories and all the dash lights come on?" YES

"And as soon as I turn the key if I hear the “whrrr” of the pump right after that, that’s not good." NO, not what I'm saying .... not hearing it AT ALL is a slam dunk...meaning it's "completely" dead or electrical contact issues going to it.... Simply hearing it WHEN it's OCCASIONALLY starting or not starting vehicle means ZERO in and of itself in potential scenario.... refer back to my previous post.... next time it doesn't start right up do the 3 key procedure...if it starts right after that procedure that's indicative that your pump IS the issue ....it needed a FEW primes to build up enough pressure to start the vehicle instead of just ONE.

Once again this is what I assume Gary was communicating / indicating.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"So, going through the motions in my head, and so I know what your saying when turning the key forward, you mean to where the accessories and all the dash lights come on?" YES

"And as soon as I turn the key if I hear the “whrrr” of the pump right after that, that’s not good." NO, not what I'm saying .... not hearing it AT ALL is a slam dunk...meaning it's "completely" dead or electrical contact issues going to it.... Simply hearing it WHEN it's OCCASIONALLY starting or not starting vehicle means ZERO in and of itself in potential scenario.... refer back to my previous post.... next time it doesn't start right up do the 3 key procedure...if it starts right after that procedure that's indicative that your pump IS the issue ....it needed a FEW primes to build up enough pressure to start the vehicle instead of just ONE.

Once again this is what I assume Gary was communicating / indicating.....
Ok gotcha! Thank you so much. You guys have been a great help!!

I am sorry I was not clear! When doing this exercise, one is pressurizing the fuel
system. This is a cheap way to extend the life of a failing system. The fuel
pressure regulator (FPR) is integral to the pump. Inside the FPR is a check valve
that keeps the fuel under pressure to prevent boiling of the fuel under hot soak
conditions.

Failure of the FPR manifests itself as "long" starting periods or multiple tries to start.
Symptoms and diagnosis of a the failing pump itself can be found elsewhere.

Does this help better?

My wife has a 99 Sport & a couple years ago she went to work & came home no problem the temp was above 32°. The next day it was well below freezing so like a good husband I go out to start her truck to warm it up & it just cranks & will not start. The next day it is above freezing in the morning & it fires right up. One of the awesome guys here says he had the same problem that it is the fuel pump. So I purchased a new fuel pump, drop the tank & replace the pump only not the whole assembly. I used a Bosch fuel pump pt#-66085 & it has fine since.

Buy a can of starting fluid .....have can and screwdriver handy....next time it doesn't start take / slide end of air intake hose off throttle body / open throttle by hand and spray starting fluid inside throttle body for like 5 seconds.... if it starts right up and then immediately dies....then wont start by itself the next moment it's your fuel pump 99.9%

Back