Here’s a new one

intheric

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer 4WD
Hey guys,

I went to wash my truck today, since the birds marked all over it. So literally moved it from the back to the front of the house.

I washed off all the crap and dirt and various gifts from Mother Nature. Took all of maybe, 10 minutes.

I go to start it and it’s cranking up, but not catching. I tried it again. It’s cranking up, but not catching

my friend ended up calling and we talked for 30 min or so, and after that, I went to start it and just like that, it’s starts right up. What now?? Fuel pump?? Like Charlie Brown said, “argh”

I do need to get gas, but now with this happening, I’m not sure I’ll go unless I’m super brave and fill it up some with the engine running. The station is close but don’t want to risk this happening again and get stuck there

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Autozone lets you "purchase" a fuel pressure tester and then return it for a full refund. ($150)
Do you have the SOHC or OHV ("EFI") engine ?

Autozone lets you "purchase" a fuel pressure tester and then return it for a full refund. ($150)
Do you have the SOHC or OHV ("EFI") engine ?
Wow. Sounds like they should just have one on site and test it for free.

I believe it’s a OHV. I put all the info on my profile, I think. But what would cause it to not start up after cutting it off for a few minutes, but starts fine 30 min later?

thanks!

Wow. Sounds like they should just have one on site and test it for free.

I believe it’s a OHV. I put all the info on my profile, I think. But what would cause it to not start up after cutting it off for a few minutes, but starts fine 30 min later?

thanks!
Happened only when water was involved? Check ignition coil and it's connections for excessive dirt: moisture absorbed can short out the high voltage to the plugs, resulting in no start. Dries out, starts.

Depends on whether the water was a contributing factor or merely a coincidence.

Unless you went crazy spraying up into the wheel wells and stuff, I’d guess it’s more likely to be coincidence. Maybe break out the hose and see if you can reproduce?

Happened only when water was involved? Check ignition coil and it's connections for excessive dirt: moisture absorbed can short out the high voltage to the plugs, resulting in no start. Dries out, starts.
This is the first time it happened so yeah. And it was after I sprayed the truck down but the hoods closed all the way and I really didn’t spray down the front. Just the windshield and the sides and back

Unless you went crazy spraying up into the wheel wells and stuff, I’d guess it’s more likely to be coincidence. Maybe break out the hose and see if you can reproduce?
I didn’t have to get all wild. It’s cold and the bird poop came off easy so no need to scrub the truck down. Mostly the windshield and the sides of the truck. But I’ll try it tomorrow.

would having it run while spraying it help?

Went to start it up today. Took 3 times to start her up. Then drove around the block and back home. Turned it off. Waited a min. Tried again and started right up. Let it sit for a few min. Started up fine. Did this cycle a few times, and no prob. Going to let it sit till after I have lunch and see what happens then. Thanks!

Went to start it up today. Took 3 times to start her up. Then drove around the block and back home. Turned it off. Waited a min. Tried again and started right up. Let it sit for a few min. Started up fine. Did this cycle a few times, and no prob. Going to let it sit till after I have lunch and see what happens then. Thanks!
Sounds like your suspicion was correct the first time... FUEL PUMP.
They can linger / semi function for a couple weeks some times when at end of life.... (in my case mine's potentially at constant sub-par function state...different issue/scenario)

On my '95 ohv 'return fuel system' specs should fall in 36-42 psi......
FWIR Your '98 was first year implementation of a return-LESS fuel system so your testing psi spec should be much higher (around 60)...here's this from other post:
1998+ Rangers (Explorers) use a mechanical "returnless" fuel system regardless of the engine. Mechanical returnless fuel systems have the following characteristics:

(1) there is no return line running back to the fuel tank from the fuel rail;

(2) the fuel pressure regulator is now in the fuel tank with the pump, not on the fuel rail;

(3) they are designed to operate at higher fuel pressure (64 +/-8psi for gasoline engines, 55psi +/-8 ps for FFV);

Sounds like your suspicion was correct the first time... FUEL PUMP.
They can linger / semi function for a couple weeks some times when at end of life.... (in my case mine's potentially at constant sub-par function state...different issue/scenario)

On my '95 ohv 'return fuel system' specs should fall in 36-42 psi......
FWIR Your '98 was first year implementation of a return-LESS fuel system so your testing psi spec should be much higher (around 60)...here's this from other post:
1998+ Rangers (Explorers) use a mechanical "returnless" fuel system regardless of the engine. Mechanical returnless fuel systems have the following characteristics:

(1) there is no return line running back to the fuel tank from the fuel rail;

(2) the fuel pressure regulator is now in the fuel tank with the pump, not on the fuel rail;

(3) they are designed to operate at higher fuel pressure (64 +/-8psi for gasoline engines, 55psi +/-8 ps for FFV);
Thanks for all that. Don’t understand what any of it means lol but I’m guessing it’s time to get a new fuel pump then?

A similar thing happened to me but mine was caused by the PCM getting wet, the big bundle of wires going into the firewall just below the passenger windshield wiper. It got water in it from me hosing off the window of bird droppings. Car would turn over but not start until it dried out, about an hour or so. Might be a good idea to pull connection and clean.

Not all 1998s are returnless. Mine is an early 1998 (12/97 build) and has the return style system.

A similar thing happened to me but mine was caused by the PCM getting wet, the big bundle of wires going into the firewall just below the passenger windshield wiper. It got water in it from me hosing off the window of bird droppings. Car would turn over but not start until it dried out, about an hour or so. Might be a good idea to pull connection and clean.
Ok. I’ll go look at this now. Thanks

So being a 99 yours is definitely a return-LESS system.... I posted all that assuming a fuel pressure test was up next and therefore adding clarity to what YOUR ohv reading should be versus prior ohv year readings...
From more details you posted and a few more days elapsing now I would have no reason to believe it's from any excessive moisture anywhere... my 2 cents.

Oops....thought I saw / was thinking 98...so yours if definitely a return-LESS system.... I posted all that assuming a fuel pressure test was up next and therefore adding clarity to what YOUR ohv reading should be versus prior ohv year readings...
From more details you posted and sitting a few more days know I would have no reason to believe it's from any excessive moisture anywhere...
It’s been very foggy in the morning recently and cold and rainy others so lots of extra wetness around

A cheap, stupid and lazy way to check the pump is as follows.
When cold (hasn't been started for a while) cycle the key a few
times listening for the whirl of the fuel pump.
If it starts up right away then it's the pump/regulator.

How long it lasts is a crap shoot.

I always listen for the pump and I do hear it. I’ve always heard it. Not sure what got me into that pattern. I hear that and the stupid bell going off 7 times for whatever reason. THAT drives me crazy.

I think you overlooked Gary's main point, it's not just hearing the pump, it's WHEN it's in one of it's "Non starting stretches" ....when this is happening turn the key forward and let sit a few seconds there just shy of cranking point -- do this 3 or more times......IF it immediately starts after doing this THEN it's a good indicator your pump is more than likely on it's way out.....
I believe his implication is that even with a failing fuel pump .... doing the 3 key turn will prime it enough to get it to start... so if this works it's proof the pump "needed some assisted measures" ...thus on it's way out.....maybe I'm off on my conclusion....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you overlooked Gary's main point, it's not just hearing the pump, it's WHEN it's in one of it's "Non starting stretches" ....when this is happening turn the key forward and let sit a few seconds there just shy of cranking point -- do this 3 or more times......IF it immediately starts after doing this THEN it's a good indicator your pump is more than likely on it's way out.....
I believe his implication is that even with a failing fuel pump .... doing the 3 key turn will prime it enough to get it to start... so if this works it's proof the pump "needed some assisted measures" ...thus on it's way out.....maybe I'm off on my conclusion....
Ahh. Ok. You’ve made it clearer. Thanks.

So, going through the motions in my head, and so I know what your saying when turning the key forward, you mean to where the accessories and all the dash lights come on? And as soon as I turn the key if I hear the “whrrr” of the pump right after that, that’s not good.

I was thinking of it earlier. I was always told to crank the engine only after you hear the pump. Get in. Turn radio off. turn key-listen-and start. It’s become such a automated thing now. A few times I don’t hear or thought I didn’t hear it (that damn bell that goes off. Ugh) I always turn the key back and try again.

I didn’t know that there was certain time or whatever that the pump cuts on. Good to know.

thanks again!!!

Back