Here's Our New Ride! | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Here's Our New Ride!

Nice color! I really wish they made the sport in this color!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats quite a list - seems like these items should not be issues for another ? 9 years or more?
Although some of it must be sue to harsh summer temps...

Except for the smell problem and the transmission whine, the list is a bunch of annoyance items. I think the weather stripping was just a poor design, putting a thin piece of rubber on an edge that gets grazed when you get in and out of the car. The seat trim isn't that noticeable, but it isn't as it should be. The parking sensor paint problem is unique to those items, so I'm not worried the paint will fall off the car. The leather is really disappointing to have it wearing through so quickly. Another reason I am not a fan of leather. The crooked tailgate is a problem on many Explorers, the degree of severity is the biggest variable. The musty A/C just happens sometimes, and is an easy fix.

Overall, we are very pleased with the car. It is quiet, smooth, and hasn't done anything to make us question its reliability. Still a thumbs up for us, only more so when we get all of these niggling problems fixed.

Oh, and that list is all of the problems we have had in almost 28,000 miles. We just let them gather up to get fixed all at the same time. To be honest, they have all been present since about 20,000 miles. All in all, not great, but not bad.

Hi VinceL!

I'm happy to get your regional customer service manager (CSM) looped in on all of these concerns; they'll ensure they are all addressed by your dealership. To get started, shoot me a PM with your VIN, mileage, dealer, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll get to work!

Crystal

Thanks Crystal, a PM is on its way. Thanks!

DON'T move to Dallas - there's already too many up here !!!! :)

kidding - kidding - come on up - glad to help if you need some ideas about the different areas from a local .... good luck on the job !

On edit - just ran thru all 200+ posts in this thread - great pics and commentary !!!

Reminds me of our trips thru there years ago.... Now that we are back into Rv'ing after a 30 year hiatus :) we are thinking of heading to cooler climes this summer !

I recall driving a class a thru the Garden of the Gods and wondering WHY did they let me in here ?!?!

Stunning place !! and thank goodness we weren't towing too big a toad !!!

LOL, well we are heading to Dallas one way or the other! The Big 'D' will just have to bare the burden of one more Explorer, hehe. Thanks for the offer. We have been up there twice to look around, and the internets has been super helpful. Right now, we think Frisco is going to be the place, but we are still keeping an eye out.

Glad you enjoyed the trip journal! We had a blast. It was a huge amount of planning, but it went off perfectly and it was amazing. Our 4 year old still talks about the "adbenture" we went on. Taking a Class A through GotG was brave of you!! You have my respect for that one.

Take it easy :)

Nice color! I really wish they made the sport in this color!

Thanks! We really liked how the color minimized the difference between the blacked out parts and the painted parts. It shines up really nice and isn't as needy as a black car. Funny thing is, the car was almost blue! They changed the blue from 2012 to 2013 and my wife wanted the darker blue. The gray was my favorite, so I had no complaints when she decided on the gray.

Dropping the car off in a little while. I'll keep ya'll posted on the progress and for those on the northside, I'll give an impression of Tomball Ford's service :)

Well, two weeks down and things are progressing along on our car. Bill at Tomball Ford has been great keeping us in the loop with progress calls every couple of days. Now it looks like we are part of the recall on the fuel system. I hope they can take care of that at the same time (though I know parts are going to be scarce).

One thing I have to grouse about is this: I have been two weeks without a car for warranty repairs and not once has Ford offered a loaner car. I think that stinks :( With my Subaru and a list that long, I would have been offered one when I dropped my car off.

Well, two weeks down and things are progressing along on our car. Bill at Tomball Ford has been great keeping us in the loop with progress calls every couple of days. Now it looks like we are part of the recall on the fuel system. I hope they can take care of that at the same time (though I know parts are going to be scarce).

One thing I have to grouse about is this: I have been two weeks without a car for warranty repairs and not once has Ford offered a loaner car. I think that stinks :( With my Subaru and a list that long, I would have been offered one when I dropped my car off.
No offer of a loaner. That kinda sucks Vince. I know that under the factory warranty that a loaner is not supplied and those dealers that do, I assume do so at their cost. Still 2 weeks is a long time and I would have thought that they should have made some kind of arrangement with you. Even given my limited driving, I don't think I could go without for 2+ weeks.
I sure hope that they are able to get all the issues addressed.

Peter

Here is an update on the repairs:

Items 1, and 3 are waiting on parts.

Items 2, 4, 6, 7 have been fixed.

Items 8 and 9 are still being worked on, with 9 not being replicated so far but they are continuing to try.

Item 10 cannot be replicated (big shocker, lol).

Item 11 is not under warranty.

Most disappointingly, item 5 was denied by Ford for a warranty repair. They took pics and the Ford engineers said no. They are calling it normal wear and tear. The wrinkles, maybe. The fact the finish is gone on a few places, no way. If this is normal wear and tear, I hate to think what condition the leather will be in five years down the road. I'm irritated about this one.

I am still in touch with the regional representative, so hopefully this can be resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

3 weeks in, my wife is getting very impatient not having her car for so long.

Here's the list to refer to:

1. Weather stripping where front doors meet B pillars wearing through and cracking.

2. Seat trim on front passenger lower seat cushion front keeps popping off.

3. Sulfur/ozone/exhaust smell through A/C vents when accelerating still a problem.

4. Paint falling off of parking sensors on front bumper.

5. Leather on driver’s seat is wrinkling and showing excessive wear (especially right side upper bolster – leather finish is rubbing off with raw leather exposed).

6. Factory applied sealant at base of driver’s side tailgate hinge is cracking and separating from vehicle.

7. Tailgate is skewed with passenger side edge forward several millimeters of taillight lens (it is flush on driver side).

8. A strong, musty odor from vents when A/C is on is still a problem.

9. Faint creaking noise heard when turning steering wheel to the left or right.

10. Sound of transmission has changed recently, accompanied by harsh shifts periodically (especially when moving between drive and reverse).

let them keep it for a few more days and it then qualifies for lemon law protection from being out of service for 30 days within the first year....

document everything though !

I can help if you want, have done it twice :) with two other vehicles.

let them keep it for a few more days and it then qualifies for lemon law protection from being out of service for 30 days within the first year....

document everything though !

I can help if you want, have done it twice :) with two other vehicles.

Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately after checking the Texas lemon law rules, it would seem that even with the 30 day rule, we don't meet the requirements. We'll just have to hash it out with Ford the old fashioned way :mad:

Okay, now having had the car back for a few days, this is what we have found:

1. Weather stripping where front doors meet B pillars wearing through and cracking.

1. They replaced the wrong part, but they did replace a part. Turns out they looked at the door gasket that attaches to the body and found it was cracking, so that is what they replaced. Missed my issue, but found another! Glad they fixed that one, and they have ordered the correct parts.

2. Seat trim on front passenger lower seat cushion front keeps popping off.

2. Fixed!

3. Sulfur/ozone/exhaust smell through A/C vents when accelerating still a problem.

3 The TSB was applied, but unfortunately it has done nothing to reduce the problem. The car gets just as stinky as it did before. We are very disappointed by this.

4. Paint falling off of parking sensors on front bumper.

4. Fixed!

5. Leather on driver’s seat is wrinkling and showing excessive wear (especially right side upper bolster – leather finish is rubbing off with raw leather exposed).

5. Ford regional rep was on vacation, we will keep on fighting for this one.

6. Factory applied sealant at base of driver’s side tailgate hinge is cracking and separating from vehicle.

6. Fixed!

7. Tailgate is skewed with passenger side edge forward several millimeters of taillight lens (it is flush on driver side).

7. Fixed!

8. A strong, musty odor from vents when A/C is on is still a problem.

8. Fixed for a day or two, but it has started coming back and it is slowly getting stronger.

9. Could not replicate - but I can't really blame them as it happened very rarely.

10. Sound of transmission has changed recently, accompanied by harsh shifts periodically (especially when moving between drive and reverse).

10. Could not replicate. This also was intermittent, but the noise is definitely there. It is usually triggered by brisk acceleration. The sound isn't so much a whine as it is a howl type noise. Once the sound starts, it will continue even under normal acceleration. Maybe it is the engine or transmission doing something new fangled? The sound is only heard during acceleration and is quite different than the sound of climbing engine RPMs. It just doesn't sound right to me. I'm just worried that the tranny is going to drop in the future due to a problem that could have been fixed under warranty.

So that is where the car stands. I will talk with the service manager at the dealership to address my continued concerns. I do give credit to the folks at Tomball, Bill has been excellent and Misti is awesome.

Okay, now having had the car back for a few days, this is what we have found:

9. Could not replicate - but I can't really blame them as it happened very rarely.

So that is where the car stands. I will talk with the service manager at the dealership to address my continued concerns. I do give credit to the folks at Tomball, Bill has been excellent and Misti is awesome.
Could this be

11-9-12 CREAK NOISE FROM FRONT BUMPER - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 9/6/2011
Publication Date: September 21, 2011
FORD: 2011-2012 Explorer
ISSUE:
Some 2011-2012 Explorer vehicles built on or before 9/6/2011 may exhibit a creak noise from the front bumper area while turning and/or negotiating grade changes.

Perhaps the creaking is you when you move your arms. :D Aging will do that you know.

Peter

Thanks Peter, but I am pretty sure that is not the cause of the noise. It is a super quiet sound and seems like it is coming from the steering column some place inside the car.

As for the creaking arms, those can join the popping knees, cracking ankles, and all of the other assorted noises :)

Vince,

I'm having issue 2 and 9 on my Explorer. For the past few months, my daily routine in the morning before I go to work is popping the trim on the seat back in. It pops back off minutes later so I don't know why I even bother. I need to make an appointment with the dealership.

As for 9, I started noticing the creaking noise this spring. One day I heard a loud grinding noise. I thought there was something wrong with my breaks, so I actually stopped driving the Explorer for a few days. It hasn't happened since. I hear the creaking noise every time I have the window down and I'm turning. Mine is easily replicated so hopefully the dealership will find something and I can report back here. I will be making an appointment tomorrow.

On a side note, the road trip you did inspired me to take one. I have finally been able to get the time off and plan a trip. I'll be leaving next month. I'm going in the Explorer from here in California to Yellowstone, the Tetons, up north to Glacier NP, up into Canada to Jasper/Banff/Yoho, then west to Wells Grey, Sea to Sky Highway, Vancouver, south to Seattle, Olympic NP, then back to California.

boltsfan17, sounds like your creaking noise is a lot worse than ours! Eek. If you can, take the tech for a drive and recreate the noise, since you know how to do it, so that they can't do the old "can't replicate" song and dance.

As for the road trip? Looks like you have an amazing adventure planned!!! Gonna put our trip to shame, lol. Of course, we all expect a travelog replete with pictures and descriptions. I'm excited for ya.

...I'm having issue 2 and 9 on my Explorer. For the past few months, my daily routine in the morning before I go to work is popping the trim on the seat back in. It pops back off minutes later so I don't know why I even bother. I need to make an appointment with the dealership...

Hi boltsfan17,

I want to get involved and see how I can help. Send me your information in a PM and I'll get the ball rolling. Please be sure to include your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thanks!

Crystal

boltsfan17, sounds like your creaking noise is a lot worse than ours! Eek. If you can, take the tech for a drive and recreate the noise, since you know how to do it, so that they can't do the old "can't replicate" song and dance.

As for the road trip? Looks like you have an amazing adventure planned!!! Gonna put our trip to shame, lol. Of course, we all expect a travelog replete with pictures and descriptions. I'm excited for ya.

I took the Explorer in on Tuesday and no word yet. My fingers are crossed the Ford techs can find something. I will keep you posted.

You took a nice road trip too. I'm sure I'll have a ton of pictures. I always go a little overboard with the amount of pictures I take on vacation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi boltsfan17,

I want to get involved and see how I can help. Send me your information in a PM and I'll get the ball rolling. Please be sure to include your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thanks!

Crystal

Hi Crystal,

I really appreciate the offer to help. My Explorer is currently at the dealership. If I have any issues, I will send you a PM. Thanks again.

Back