Here's Our New Ride! | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Here's Our New Ride!

Craig, about the litter, I feared the same thing... trading slick ice for slippery clay slurry. The good news is that it worked like a charm. It even made it safer to walk on the icy driveway. The recommendation I read online was to get just plain, unscented litter to avoid chemicals getting everywhere.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lordy, lordy, look who passed 40! The Gray Ghost passed 40,000 miles the other day. Still chugging along and proving itself a formidable road-warrior. A few gremlins are still around (and a new one with the blinker and MFT chimes sounding like they are being played through a blown speaker sometimes), but overall the car is performing well. Going to be time for new tires soon, so the shopping will commence for those!

Lordy, lordy, look who passed 40! The Gray Ghost passed 40,000 miles the other day. Still chugging along and proving itself a formidable road-warrior. A few gremlins are still around (and a new one with the blinker and MFT chimes sounding like they are being played through a blown speaker sometimes), but overall the car is performing well. Going to be time for new tires soon, so the shopping will commence for those!
Glad to hear that the Gray Ghost is doing well. I can attest to the fact that 'germlins' pop up in people too as they age.;)
Since you brought up the tire replacement thing, it got me to wondering if I should put my current Yokohamas on the 2015 Explorer if I get one in March 2015. The tires will only have about 8000 miles on them by that time since I run Winters for 5 months of the year. It'll give me something to think about.
Take care my Texas friend.

Peter

Glad to see with all the trouble your Explorer has been, good to see you made it thru 40,000 miles.

Seeing over time the list of repairs you have needed it is like a rebuilt Ex.

Keep on truckin---tinner

Congrats, Vince! When you go in for tires, make sure you let your dealership know about the MFT distortion and let them hear it if you can duplicate it. :)

Rebecca

Passed 50k miles a while back and just had the rear passenger brake fixed. ESP covered all but $50. Maybe the mileage will improve now that it isn't dragging a brake.

Still contemplating tires and thinking of going with the Parada Spec-X. Might get another month or so out of the OEMs, but won't go much beyond that.

Congrats on reaching the 50k miles Vince. When I turned mine in back in April after 3 years it had 11,200 miles on it. I've got about 900 on my new one since April 1st.;) Now I've got to get another set of Winter wheels and tires. Going with the 18" steel Explorer wheels and hope that they will also fit the 2016 Explorer when it comes out. Sold my other set as well as my Husky liners.

Peter

Well, found a irregularly shaped bubble under the paint forming on the front of the hood this morning. If it were a steel hood I would say it is rusting under the paint, with it being aluminum, I have no idea. Just another fun little thing the car is doing to endear itself to me. What is the paint warranty on these cars?

Dealer told me that it was very short, like 24 hours for defects from the factory. My 2016 Explorer Limited has 2 paint defects on the roof, that were found during prep. I wouldn't have ever found them, and they said that defects have to be seen by the person receiving the car for Ford to pay for it. They further said, that because of the location, there shouldn't be any problem getting it approved. I hate the thought of painting the entire roof, and am hoping that they can just spot it in. Less likely to have a paint problem a few years from now. I have a feeling that Ford puts a lot of pressure on the dealerships to pay for cosmetic defects on the new cars, such as paint.

Well the Gray Ghost passed 100k miles a couple of weeks back. She is in the twighlight of her service with us. The extended warranty runs out at 125k and she will be but a memory when that happens. The car shopping has already begun to replace it and I estimate that in about a 8 to 10 months we will dump the ghost for her replacement. Before it gets the boot I will be back to write a bit of a reflective piece on the worst car ownership experience either of us has ever had. Until then...

Well the Gray Ghost passed 100k miles a couple of weeks back. She is in the twighlight of her service with us. The extended warranty runs out at 125k and she will be but a memory when that happens. The car shopping has already begun to replace it and I estimate that in about a 8 to 10 months we will dump the ghost for her replacement. Before it gets the boot I will be back to write a bit of a reflective piece on the worst car ownership experience either of us has ever had. Until then...
Good to see you're still with us Vince. I'll be in the market when the current lease runs out April 1st. Looking at a '17 or '18 Platinum or possible an MKX but the Ex is my first choice. Hope the family is well.

Peter

Hey Peter!

Let's see, you probably have maybe 10-15k miles on your car? Haha. The family is doing great. I hope all is well with you and yours. I can see you driving the MKX. You gotta shake things up a bit now and then to keep it interesting :)

Take care,
Vince

Back