• Register Today It's free!

Hey from Colorado!

Rebel4Ever

Reaction score
City, State
Parachute, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Ford Explorer
Let me introduce myself: my name is Rebecca and I moved to Colorado a year ago after my husband died.
I have no idea how to use this website haha
The only thing I DO know is I have a '94 Explorer that needs help and I have little to no resources.
SOOOOO I'm thinking I need to think outside the box and learn how to tune up this truck by myself!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The good thing about having a first gen, is that they've been around so long, that we've had longer to study every single inch of them. Stick around, and you'll learn everything you need to know.

MayJan... I'm quite certain it needs a tune up. Running rough, bad gas mileage, stalled once, etc. I bought it used last July but haven't had two nickels to rub together until now to get it dialed in.
From what I'm gathering online, a thorough tuneup will run between $250-500+... YIKES!!! So I decided to consider doing as much of it as I possibly can myself. I love learning new things and have nothing but time on my hands so...? I ran across this site while looking stuff up & figured it would be really helpful :)
And Turboranger91, I like the way you think dude!!!

Basic tune up is fairly simple, and not to pricey. Things like plugs, wires, air and fuel filter, and cleaning the maf and intake are all relatively easy, and will make a big impact on the performance of the vehicle. Is your check engine light on?

No check engine light on. Thank you for the info, advice, guidance and encouragent - it helps me a lot!!! MayJan what do you mean by " clean the maf and intake"?

Maf =mass air flow sensor. It's the rectangular device on the intake tube, close to the air filter box. You can buy special spray cleaner for it at the auto parts store, but I think you can just use regular old intake manifold cleaner in the aerosol can to clean it as well. The intake I was referring to is where the plastic air intake tube meets the engine. If you loosen the clamp and removes the plastic tube, you will see a "butterfly" valve, that's probably gummed up pretty bad. You can use the same aerosol intake manifold cleaner you use on the Maf to clean all the crud out of there as well. Both really quick and easy the gs to do!

Welcome Rebecca. Basic maintenance is quite easy on the 1st gen Explorer's.

Thanks Mike65! I may be a 52 year young woman but I'm smart, love to learn new things, not afraid of getting my hands dirty and am tenacious as a bulldog.. so I'm thinking I can handle it!!!
I'm sure I'll have a ton of novice-like questions, but who cares haha. I'm just grateful to have y'all to help me thru this new adventure :)

Thanks for exlpaining the maf and intake MayJan!

Back