Hi everybody. Explorer 1998 V6 sohc Greenland - Warning lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hi everybody. Explorer 1998 V6 sohc Greenland - Warning lights

JesB

Reaction score
City, State
Nuussuaq
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998, explorer
I was hoping someone in here could tell me the meaning of 2 lights in my dashboard. cant find them in the manual.
IMG_0454.jpg
Thanks in advance for any info :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Must be a special I.C. for the country your vehicle was destined for use in.

Must be a special I.C. for the country your vehicle was destined for use in.
I think the European market was Germany and Great Britain, but so far I only have been able to find the American manuals. It bugs me not to know what it is. 😊

?? I just looked in a '99 american manual (PDF) and on page 6 (instrumentation)...

dash instrumentation.png

Yes, it looks that way. The manual describes them on pg 10 as:

O/D off (if equipped)

Illuminates when the transmission
control switch has been pushed.
When the light is on, the
transmission does not shift into
overdrive. If the light does not come
on when the transmission control switch is depressed or if the light
flashes when you are driving, have your vehicle serviced.

Speed control

This light comes on when either the
SET/ACCEL or RESUME controls
are pressed. It turns off when the
speed control OFF control is
pressed, the brake is applied or the ignition is turned to the OFF
position.

I was hoping someone in here could tell me the meaning of 2 lights in my dashboard. cant find them in the manual.View attachment 326643Thanks in advance for any info :)
hey there....the symbol at the top looks like the suspension control....does yours have a manual off switch located behind the left side rear cover where the jack is stored ??? it comes on after driving for awhile.....the bottom symbol looks like the over drive off...try clicking the button on the auto shifter.....my truck has the same symbols on the dash...

Looks like InstrumentCluster for NorthAmerican 1998~2003 Explorers\Rangers\SportTracs\MazdaBs,
the typical spots for DutyLamps indicating "SpeedControl On" & "OverDrive Off".
GreenLand; that's exotic; like driving in AntArctica with maybe 10miles 16klicks of dirt\ice roads on the whole
hey there....the symbol at the top looks like the suspension control....does yours have a manual off switch located behind the left side rear cover where the jack is stored ??? it comes on after driving for awhile.....the bottom symbol looks like the over drive off...try clicking the button on the auto shifter.....my truck has the same symbols on the dash...
Yes it does have the switch in the back. It was set on off and I turned it on, and lord behold the light disappeared 😊👍 thanks a lot. 👍👍

Looks like InstrumentCluster for NorthAmerican 1998~2003 Explorers\Rangers\SportTracs\MazdaBs,
the typical spots for DutyLamps indicating "SpeedControl On" & "OverDrive Off".
GreenLand; that's exotic; like driving in AntArctica with maybe 10miles 16klicks of dirt\ice roads on the whole continent?
View attachment 326665
well we do have paved roads, but longest drive is maybe 15 minutes :) No rust issues here. my dayly drive is a vw golf syncro from 1996 with 200000 km on it

Yes it does have the switch in the back. It was set on off and I turned it on, and lord behold the light disappeared 😊👍 thanks a lot. 👍👍
another question, been trying to google what that switch actually do and dont do, but so came up blank.... so what does it do ? its not an air ride.

another question, been trying to google what that switch actually do and dont do, but so came up blank.... so what does it do ? its not an air ride.
hey there...it's a suspension level assistance system...that really is only designed to help when you attach a trailer to the towbar or have a very heavy load in the back

Look under the back at the rear end to see the shocks etc. The 95-98's had an air shock system called ARC, it had four air shocks(bladders on the shocks), and air lines to them, plus a compressor mounted above the spare tire. By this time they've all been removed generally, by owners who don't care to maintain the ARC system.

The 99-01's had an optional ARC system that only assisted in the rear, a rear air shock only version. Both versions use the same compressor and rear shocks, lines, with a different module in the dash for each. The shocks are still available, aftermarket versions(not the OEM), but the air connections have to be maintained. Those have small inexpensive service parts to replace, every 10 years of so should do. The rear ride height sensor is a weak link, the joints can corrode, which will ruin those.

Below shows the compressor, ARC shocks, and the rear ride height sensor;

Projectthread100.JPG

Look under the back at the rear end to see the shocks etc. The 95-98's had an air shock system called ARC, it had four air shocks(bladders on the shocks), and air lines to them, plus a compressor mounted above the spare tire. By this time they've all been removed generally, by owners who don't care to maintain the ARC system.

The 99-01's had an optional ARC system that only assisted in the rear, a rear air shock only version. Both versions use the same compressor and rear shocks, lines, with a different module in the dash for each. The shocks are still available, aftermarket versions(not the OEM), but the air connections have to be maintained. Those have small inexpensive service parts to replace, every 10 years of so should do. The rear ride height sensor is a weak link, the joints can corrode, which will ruin those.

Below shows the compressor, ARC shocks, and the rear ride height sensor;

View attachment 326794
Thanks for the info. I will check out mine how it looks

Back