Reaction score
City, State
Griffith, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi, new here and need some guidance.
I am doing a tim
20200830_130739.jpg
ing chain replacement on my 2010 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC and can not find instructions on how to calibrate the balance shaft to the crankshaft. On mine the top sprocket has one dot and the bottom gear has 6 small lines around it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you watch these ?
Part 2-4 I think

Did you watch these ?
Part 2-4 I think

Yes I have watched that video several times. The balance shaft alignment marks are totaly different than the ones on my 4.0. I was hoping someone has seen this one before.

20200902_214015.jpg

[/QUOTE]
Here is a little better shot of the markings.

On the sprocket there is one dot not two lines, and on the bottom gear there are six lines evenly spaced every 4 teeth not one dot. And as you can see the gears are in front of the bearing housing not behind it.

On the sprocket there is one dot not two lines, and on the bottom gear there are six lines evenly spaced every 4 teeth not one dot. And as you can see the gears are in front of the bearing housing not behind it.
[/QUOTE]
Hi Wayne, I have the same issue. Can you tell me what you found out?

[/QUOTE]
Wayne had not signed in since September 23 of 2020 I would be suprised if he replies just an fyi.

Wayne had not signed in since September 23 of 2020 I would be suprised if he replies just an fyi.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks

Thanks
[/QUOTE]
Do you have the same problem with the balance shaft?

No I have not had that problem. i just wanted you to know that wayne has not been seen in a while and never posted a solution. This happens alot on all forums that a solution is never posted.

I did spend some time searching google and youtube for a procedures but found nothing. I only found how to time the one without the gear teeth. I may be worth a shot to pay for an alldata diy subscription (only need a month) just to see if they have it.

You can't find a solution because we all just delete it
You will find this a ton on the 3nd gen threads

You can't find a solution because we all just delete it
You will find this a ton on the 3nd gen threads
Donald, thank you for your response
So your saying that I can just remove the balancer? Or perhaps just remove the chain?Will there be any problems afterwards?

Just remove the chain pop a link
No problems reported that I know of
Leave the balancer itself in place

Back