• Register Today It's free!

High Beam FAILURE

joselama

Reaction score
City, State
Santo Domingo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
I installed HID on both fog lamps and headlamps. I had a problem with one of the ballast for the fog lamp and this blew the #47 (fog lights).

Also, i did not have high beam. If I hit the high beam switch, the blue light indicator in the dashboard turned on, but high beam was not activated. Also, fuse 39 (high beam) was OK.

I replaced the ballast for the fog lamp and replaced the #47 fuse. Fog lamps work great, but still no high beam.

When I flick the switch for high beam, blue indicator in dashboard turns on and fog lamp turns of (as they are supposed to). Fuse 39 (high beam headlamp) is still working.

If lights are OFF, when I hit the High Beam switch, lights turn on, but in low projection only. Does not goes to High projection.

I checked the plug and there is no current/voltage in the high beam wires. SO headlamps are ok.

I checked the manual for any other fuse or relay and I couldnt find anything. Any Ideas??

BTW: ALL fuses under the dashboard and in the trunk are ok. Tested one by one. This must be a hidden relay, wiring or module failure.

Im scared of taking it to the dealer because i think the aftermarket HID might have void my warranty. This is why im asking here first.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do you here the "cover" inside the lens assy make noise-sort of a clunk whenm you hit your high beams? With the projector lens in these explorers the bulb itself is lit high and low, beams controlled inside the housing. Its very possible you dont have the bulbs installed in the lens properly.

Did you mark the aim of your old bulbs on a wall or anything to compare to, as far as aim is concerned? when i installed my v-leds i did not have to adjust the aim at all...if your aim is off then my bet is bulb is not completely installed properly...

Did you buy bi-xenon bulbs? If not, you need bi-xenon bulbs. With those bulbs, the bulb itself moves forward and backward when you hit the hi beam changing the direction of the filament so project higher. They also have to be wired to your battery to power the built in motor of the bi-xenon bulb.

Did you buy bi-xenon bulbs? If not, you need bi-xenon bulbs. With those bulbs, the bulb itself moves forward and backward when you hit the hi beam changing the direction of the filament so project higher. They also have to be wired to your battery to power the built in motor of the bi-xenon bulb.

This is not the case on our explorers. A moving bulb would be required with a dual filament bulb, however our 11's have a single filament 9005 with the high beam being controlled by a moving cover or shield in the lens assy itself.

This is not the case on our explorers. A moving bulb would be required with a dual filament bulb, however our 11's have a single filament 9005 with the high beam being controlled by a moving cover or shield in the lens assy itself.

Ahh. I knew about the moving cover with the factory hid but didnt realize non hid exs had the same setup.

Thanks for clarifying.

So - are you saying that the HID's you put in are not working right? Or that the factory lighting is not working correctly?

So - are you saying that the HID's you put in are not working right? Or that the factory lighting is not working correctly?

HID Worked fine. I switched back to FACTORY lights and I still have the problem.

For those mentioning bixenon: the 11 explorer does not need bixenon hid kits. The factory housing of the headlamp includes a motor that will make the movement necessary to project the high beam.

Im taking the vehicle to the dealer this week. Wish me luck.

Back