High Flow Cats and a Flowmater 50 series QUIET???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Flow Cats and a Flowmater 50 series QUIET????

99RedEddie

Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer
OK, just to start, i am a long time reader, don't post much (sorry). But i am a huge fan of everyone on this site. you guys are great (it is a relief to spen time on a forum with no flaming)

That being said, i have myself a 99 Eddie Bauer with the 5.0. Exhaust was crap as you all know it would be, so i bought myself 2 Magnaflow 94105 high flow 2 1/4" cats and a duel 2 1/4" in/ 3" out Flowmaster 50 series muffler. so i had them installed, but the only problem i ran into is that the 3" pipe won't fit through where the 2 1/4" did. So i am currently running a downspout out the back of the muffler. We will deal with that later. But it is quiet, really quiet, even under acceleration. Just wondering if it could be the fact that i have the downspout underneath and not out the back.

Now back to the tailpipe issue, I want to know if anyone has fit a 3" pipe through there. I do have the auto leveling shocks in the rear that i am replacing with Ranchero RSX's next month (they are on backorder on summit, buy three get one if anyone is interested, paid $160 for 4 shocks to my door) so that will make a little more space. But i still don't know if they will fit. If anyone has tried this please let me know.

And once again guys, huge fans of you all. Thanks for all your help (on this thread and all the useful stuff i have gotten here already)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pictures? anything is possible with a welder,

you say it is quiet with the turn down pipe? thats funny because i used to have one and it was a loud rumble........louder than putting it out the back. it should be loud with the V8. three inch pipe seems a little big to me but then again yours is a V8. as for the pipe fitting......sorry i cant help. thats my two cents. good luck.

I don't know about the fitting part, but it should get louder as it gets broken in too. Magnaflow stuff is pretty quiet, could the cats be keeping the whole thing quiet??

I've got the Delta50 Flowmaster on my OHV6 and it's definitely quieter than i expected it to be. It's got a decent rumble once you hit 2000rpm, but all-in-all, it's not "just a step down" from the 40 series.

I would have thought with the 5.0, dual hi-flow cats & the flowmaster that you would have gotten a better sound.

I will try to take a few pics this week when i take a good look at trying to fit the 3" pipe through. Now the flowmaster 50 SUV was the only muffler i could find with duel inlets and a single outlet. So i am suprized that no one else has run into this.

Just how quiet is this?

I'd like to get something that flows a bit better than stock, and is a bit louder than stock, but I don't wanna go crazy.

Thinking of having a dual exhaust built for me.

Just wondering if a set of Flowmaster 50's may not be a bad idea. :)

I withdraw my complaint. It broke in nicely. Sounds much better now.

My buddy drives an 93 Silverado with a 5.7 and my sister (his fiance) thought i was him. And now he is pretty mad that i sound like him with a 5.0. I didn't really listen to it while someone else was in it working the pedel until tonight when him and i took a look at it since the day i picked it up.

And i have to say the down spout may be a good thing, it has a nice feel standing around it. I am doing a few things to it this weekend in a shop so i am gonna have whip around the parking lot with it to see how it feels going by. Cause thats what is important, lettin them feel you rollin up to them.

well i dunno what series of flows this muffler shop did for mine but on there flowmaster website it says i got 70 series big block II mufflers but when I start up the x and take off in the x it dont sound like a 70 series to me but I might be wrong.

But I put on mods dual chamber 2 flowmasters 70 series big block II mufflers but i might have some other series

do the highflow magnaflow cats make a big diff over stock? Ive already read stock flows pretty well as it is

Back