• Register Today It's free!

high flow cats with pipes...?

ksaldibar

Reaction score
City, State
Staten Island (part of NYC) , New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT and '99 EB
hey guys. i was looking to upgrade my exhaust this summer if funds allow and i came across highflow cats with pipes for a '99 ranger. would these fir my 99 sohc? i ask this because i know the X and ranger are very similar. also would it just be better to order high flow cats and get a custom job done. are the cats worth it? i already have a 70 series flowmaster which i plan ongetting a 2.5" tailpipe for and some headers from explorer express. thanks.

-kenny :usa:

cats with cat pipe for a '99 ranger

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless your stock cats are bad, it's not worth it to replace them at this time.

I am wandering the same. Will this high flow CAT work for a OHV 4.0. I have the K&N FIPK air induction kit. I can tell a huge difference in the way the 4.0 runs. I dont "Hot Rod " my truck or anything but. I like the power that it has added. I just need the exhaust now.

Just get a good muffler and tailpipe and you'll be set for exhaust. Like I've said before, no reason to mess with your cats unless they are bad.

I have 80K on the truck. When should the CATS be changed. I heard if you let them go for too long they can stop up and cause engine damage.

Originally posted by whj812
I have 80K on the truck. When should the CATS be changed. I heard if you let them go for too long they can stop up and cause engine damage.
Ditto question. I've got a '94 w/ 83,x.. k, wow so many. Anyways, just posting so I can get an answer. Thanks!

On later trucks you should get a CEL when the cats are going bad, the O2 sensors will tell. On an earlier truck without a downstream O2 sensor (one after the cat), if you smell rotten eggs or seam to lose a lot of power, your cats are bad.

I have over 100,000 miles on mine and had the cats flow tested. There was less than 1lb difference between the entrance and exit flow. The stock cats are very free flowing. Like Alec said, wait until they're bad.

Back