High Idle Problem .. 95, 4.0L, OHV | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Idle Problem .. 95, 4.0L, OHV

Idle Problem

Hi.
I have had a similar problem with my 2000
Eddie Bauer, 48000 miles, out of normal warrenty , covered by extended warrenty (yahoooooo).

Basically, when I ride in no or little traffic my car seems to be normal. On a hot day i start getting the problem OR when i have gone long distance (100 miles +) OR in bumper to bumper traffic...

this has been going on since April this year (just after i took my car in for a service at my local Ford dealer -
they forget to refill the radiator coolent correctly after the service so I had to buy some anti-freeze coolent and fill the radiator - i am still mad about that - not sure if that is the cause of this problem)

symptoms:
1) car starts to jerk during gear change

2) temp gets higher (the gauge is normally full center). by this i mean it could move a few milimeters or even rise to just below red.

3) idle gets wild... by this i mean it goes from 1000-2000 up and down when I am in park, neutral or just stop with my foot on the brake.

solution:
my local Ford dealer had no clue at first.
I have taken my vehicle in 5 times for this problem.
to cut this short...
they have now discovered that there is actually a water leak into the cylinders (1,2,3 - 3 being the worst)
and it is now in the shop being repaired.

make sure that the repair shop/dealer does a complete checkup before starting to "fix" things ..

this vehical is equiped with a mass air flow sensor located befor the throttle body, just after the air filter providing that sensor is clean you would have to have an air intake leak before the iac did you check the plastic tubing befor the throttle body? Also did you check the throttle position sensor a faulty reading at idle will give you all sorts of problems the range with a volt meter should be from .5v closed to 5.0volts wide open engine off key on. Also check if your vehical has a MAP sensor and ask how to check it out. Hope this gives you some help! :eek:

Problem solved. Finally !!

Thanks for all the advice. I finally fixed the problem.
It was a vacuum leak in the upper intake, around the
end of the metal tube which leads to the EGR valve, right where it enters the plastic intake.
Used some silicone to seal it up.
Idle speed now back to normal.

Back