High Mileage SOHC's Explorers | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Mileage SOHC's Explorers

153k on my 98 sport SHOC. Slight timing chain rattle and a little pinging right be for a down ****. But she is still going strong. Just changed out 02 sensors. Did plugs and wires not long ago.

Lower and upper intake gaskets, lower ball joints, and both front hubs are the only major repairs so far, and those weren’t too bad. Original transmission, engine, and t-case.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This Explorer replaced my Mustang that was bought back by Ford under lemon law. That Mustang replaced another Mustang lemon. I didn't bother trying to deal with lemon law BS with the Explorer.

My '07 G6 had interior trim panels fall off and needed electrical work the first week I had it. It just had engine work done at 10k miles. It was spewing oil out the side of the intake.

Doesn't matter what I buy. I have really bad luck with everything. My wife and I have the same cell phones. Hers works fine. Mine only holds a charge for 4 hours and doesn't ever get a full signal...this is the replacement too.

dude sounds like my life....if it wasnt for bad luck id have no luck at all:(

99 Sohc XLT, 151,900 miles. New tranny and recent tune up. My family's had this car since it was new off the dealer. Always been **** about oil changes. I run synthetic 5w-30 and it never burns oil. Suspensions always creaking, but the thing runs like a beast.

187K on my 99 EB. The heater sucks like crazy and timing belt rattles like hell when your stopped sometimes.
Other than that. Awsome truck for the last 10 years.

216k and still on the road. Swapped tranny with used one from a 97, Transfer case is starting to go and I've had the Timing chain rattle for over 5 years. I bought an '02 so now my '98 is just for play and I have no plans on getting rid of it.

2490837_34.jpg

198,000 on my 98 eddie! trans is starting to give me trouble and am thinking about selling it before it goes and really needs repair. just used the advice on the board to fix the blend door!! if anyone is doing that take out the passenger seat first, it will make your back fell much better the next day.

i currently got 82,455 miles on my 01 sport. I remember when i bought it when it had only 12,078 miles on it.

2000 AWD 5.0L 226,000km (140,000mi)...hmm lets see....

Rotten coolant pipe on top of intake manifold - changed before it started leaking
Brakes
Ball Joints
Battery
Sway bar end links
Axle seals
Rear diff ABS sensor
DRS module
Multifunction switch and headlight switch + repair melted wiring
$2500 Tranny rebuild due to failed thrust bearing that Ford mechanic says was a factory defect that made it past warranty.
Latest dilemma, pass side head leaking coolant through casting....ugh. Anyone got a good set of 5.0L GTP heads for sale?

I use this thing comercially every day, and also am a volunteer fire-fighter. So when I need to go hard, in any weather, anywhere, I can count on this thing to get me there.

1997 XLT SOHC...Loaded.
129,500 miles. Bought it in 2004 with 106,000 miles on it. Knock on wood I haven't had any "major" repairs needed. It's mostly my wife's ride, but doubles as the family truckster for trips etc...
The truck originally came from Florida, I have some of the original paperwork that was still with it. I bought it from a dealer in NY.

Let's see...I've done brakes a few times, had to run new lines to the rears recently, they rotted out right at the calipers. My wife was driving one day and all of a sudden...no brakes. Yikes!
Upper/lower ball joints both sides. Passenger side went first, I just did driver side last spring. Just replaced the original battery the other day.
Driver side end link, shocks all around. Floppy heat shield on the cats too, just yanked them off. I've done that on every car I've ever owned with heat shields.

New heater core and thermostat a while back due to a mis-diagnosis of the blend door issue. Heh heh, free...Although I ended up fixing the blend door myself. I couldn't figure out why the heat wouldn't work, drove me to drink, so I finally cracked and sent it to a shop to get it fixed, they ended up doing the heater core, t-stat, radiator flush, and trouble shot the climate controls.
Coincidently, the heat worked for a few days as the blend door hadn't completely broken yet, but after bringing it back a thousand or so times, they scratched their heads, felt like idiots, and gave me my money back. This was during October through November mind you...need the heat!
Anyway, this problem is how I found this forum! I did a search to try and figure out what was going on and I ended up here...the rest is history.

I have intermittant "death rattle" too. It's been going on for some time now, a year or more. At first I thought it was pulley related, because it does sound similar to a bad waterpump or alternator etc...or possibly catalyst flopping around in the converters(which I think is happening as well) and figured I'd get around to figuring it out someday, but thanks to this forum,
I now realize it is indeed the dreaded "death rattle".
Sometimes it sounds like someone shaking a coffe can full of quarters, and other times it's not there at all. So be it.

While poking around I discovered the tranny had been replaced, had a re-man sticker from Ford on it, most likely due to the recall issue way back when. Some other stuff had been replaced before I bought it as well, just can't think now. But other than routine maintenance items, I haven't done that much.

Overall, it's been a very good vehicle. Never got stuck anywhere other than my driveway, even when the brake lines let loose my wife still made it home.
Just this weekend is the first time it didn't start, and it ended up being the battery not giving enough cranking amps, it was brutally cold the other day.

She's starting to have some rust issues on the underside, mainly on the floor pans. I hate undercoating, so I used a 50/50 mix of kerosene and motor oil and coated the underside with it in a spray bottle. Some old timer told me about this trick a few years ago and I tried it on my F150 and it really kept it in good condition underneath. Every once in awhile I would power wash it off and re-apply the kero/oil stuff.

My brother had a 96 or 97 with the 5.0 that he bought brand new, and it was very good to him until the end. It was also the training vehicle for his step daughters when they first got their licenses, so at that point it began to live a very hard life, ha! When it got up to the mid 100K's it just became problem after problem, so they traded it in and replaced it with...drum roll...another Explorer.

So, the moral of all this? Explorers are better than bad, they're good. Ha!

1997 XLT SOHC...Loaded.
129,500 miles. Bought it in 2004 with 106,000 miles on it. Knock on wood I haven't had any "major" repairs needed. It's mostly my wife's ride, but doubles as the family truckster for trips etc...
The truck originally came from Florida, I have some of the original paperwork that was still with it. I bought it from a dealer in NY.

Let's see...I've done brakes a few times, had to run new lines to the rears recently, they rotted out right at the calipers. My wife was driving one day and all of a sudden...no brakes. Yikes!
Upper/lower ball joints both sides. Passenger side went first, I just did driver side last spring. Just replaced the original battery the other day.
Driver side end link, shocks all around. Floppy heat shield on the cats too, just yanked them off. I've done that on every car I've ever owned with heat shields.

New heater core and thermostat a while back due to a mis-diagnosis of the blend door issue. Heh heh, free...Although I ended up fixing the blend door myself. I couldn't figure out why the heat wouldn't work, drove me to drink, so I finally cracked and sent it to a shop to get it fixed, they ended up doing the heater core, t-stat, radiator flush, and trouble shot the climate controls.
Coincidently, the heat worked for a few days as the blend door hadn't completely broken yet, but after bringing it back a thousand or so times, they scratched their heads, felt like idiots, and gave me my money back. This was during October through November mind you...need the heat!
Anyway, this problem is how I found this forum! I did a search to try and figure out what was going on and I ended up here...the rest is history.

I have intermittant "death rattle" too. It's been going on for some time now, a year or more. At first I thought it was pulley related, because it does sound similar to a bad waterpump or alternator etc...or possibly catalyst flopping around in the converters(which I think is happening as well) and figured I'd get around to figuring it out someday, but thanks to this forum,
I now realize it is indeed the dreaded "death rattle".
Sometimes it sounds like someone shaking a coffe can full of quarters, and other times it's not there at all. So be it.

While poking around I discovered the tranny had been replaced, had a re-man sticker from Ford on it, most likely due to the recall issue way back when. Some other stuff had been replaced before I bought it as well, just can't think now. But other than routine maintenance items, I haven't done that much.

Overall, it's been a very good vehicle. Never got stuck anywhere other than my driveway, even when the brake lines let loose my wife still made it home.
Just this weekend is the first time it didn't start, and it ended up being the battery not giving enough cranking amps, it was brutally cold the other day.

She's starting to have some rust issues on the underside, mainly on the floor pans. I hate undercoating, so I used a 50/50 mix of kerosene and motor oil and coated the underside with it in a spray bottle. Some old timer told me about this trick a few years ago and I tried it on my F150 and it really kept it in good condition underneath. Every once in awhile I would power wash it off and re-apply the kero/oil stuff.

My brother had a 96 or 97 with the 5.0 that he bought brand new, and it was very good to him until the end. It was also the training vehicle for his step daughters when they first got their licenses, so at that point it began to live a very hard life, ha! When it got up to the mid 100K's it just became problem after problem, so they traded it in and replaced it with...drum roll...another Explorer.

So, the moral of all this? Explorers are better than bad, they're good. Ha!

135k on my 97 5speed regret trading it but the 2000 is a great truck too with 63k

Heh.....anyone who lives in salt belt states has a good chance of having this "no brake moment" one day. Take a good look at your steel brake lines...bet they are rusted to crap. At least the backup circuit can give you survival braking.

220,000 and i drive the **** out of it :D

everything is still stock. still runs good. going to get the transmission flushed and but a bunch of Lucas oil transmission fixer in it :D soon.

wayyyyyyyyyyyyy low

243,000 and all it needs is an intake gasket just happened 2 days ago

99 SOHC 98,500 miles transmission is starting to slip between 2 and 3.

1997 XLT 260,000 kms
All the usual problems. blend door, daytime running lights, 2 x rear end, 2 x transfer cases, front drive shaft, cam chain tensioner, both front wheel bearings, etc etc etc......but it will push or pull anything.
And as a bonus, my 16 year old daughter is starting to drive it, good learning vehicle for her.

213,000 and running great. 2000 XLS 4.0 SOHC

132000 on my 2000 xlt still has timing chain rattle only on start up, other than that runs good, although I think it needs a new rack.

276,588kms

276,588KMS

Besides getting my fuel pressure regulator fixed later to day to solve my having to prime twice in order to start(not holding any residual fuel pressure after shut off), and i think the timing chain is starting to do the rattle (since putting in synthetic) but other then that GREAT Unit, Ohhh and the electronic compass and temp display is burnt out....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

High Mileage

New to board and have already learned a bunch - thanks for all your combined expertise!

I have a '99 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC that I bought new and last week turned over 383,000 miles. Replaced the transmission with a rebuilt at 125,000. That was the only significant problem.

Oh yeah, rattles and squeaks that I may solve some with the knowledge from this group.

Back