high mileage trans fluid

lonestar

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
lou,ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT, 02 XLS
My trans has developed a pulsation when shifting into 4th and 5th at low rpm, (say around 40-50mph) By not knowing maintenance history from buying the truck used and with currently over 90K miles I am sort of afraid. I am afraid changing the fluid now would do more harm than good although I have read that the harm from changing high mileage trans fluid is contributed from traditional partial changes. If I decide to change the fluid I will do a complete change by disconnecting the cooler lines. I would prefer to do it myself using the two 5-gallon bucket approach.

Any suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you have a 5 speed 93? is it a stick?

Auto

It's an Auto Trans

change it!

i just changed the fluid in my truck for what musta been the first time. it was dark and NAAAASTY, i shoulda changed it a year ago when i first got the truck, but fortunately the truck hasn't had lots of mileage in the past year.

when i changed it shifting preformance increased dramaticly.

if you change the fluid and the tranny dies, it will probably die later than it would have if you hadn't changed it.

while i have seen various mechanical devices that died shortly after service, the service didn't cause the failure... it was the prior lack of service, and continued lack of service just hastens the end.

if it is a 93 automatic you dont have 5 gears..... only 4.... 1,2,d,od

4 spd,, 5 spd its an auto!!!
You trying to say a 4 spd auto has a different maintenance procedure than a 5 spd auto.

I'm not rebuilding it, just changing the fluid.

no, in 1993 the explorer did not have a 5 speed auto.... from 91-94 they only had a 4 speed auto....

Who said anything about it being a 93 auto. You mentioned a 93 5-speed. For reference, it's a 95 auto, a 5-speed according to your little chart.

So it is either a 4 spd or a 5spd automatic. Let's just say its an automatic to avoid confusion. Do you suggest changing the fluid at 90K if it has never been changed before.

Originally posted by lonestar
Who said anything about it being a 93 auto.

uhhh, your profile says "93 (maybe)"

yes, I was going to maybe buy a 93 explorer with a 5-speed manual? I posted questions about that earlier. What's your opinion about a 5-speed with a very stiff clutch. Slave cylinder??? What do you think about the Mazda 5-speeds.

The automatic transmission in question is in a 95 Ranger.

I didn't mention the year of the Automatic trans because I figured trans fluid change on a high mileage vehicle would apply to any auto trans,, 4spd or 5spd.

ok.... tranny fluid should be changed every 60k..... if you got 90 and doubt the previous owner did anything now is a better time than ever to change it.....

Originally posted by lonestar
What's your opinion about a 5-speed with a very stiff clutch. Slave cylinder??? What do you think about the Mazda 5-speeds.

hmmm, yeah prolly a slave that's ready to die.

if you want to DIY, the slave is about $100 and the master is about $55 at AutoZone. takes perhaps 2 hours to pull it out or stick it back in, about another hour to replace the master, only because you have to lie on your back to grind the shaft in half.

use a $25 Mity-Mite vaccum pump to bleed the system.

when the slave died in my '92's tranny it just went without any significant warning. fortunately it was less than a mile from home.

Back