High Pitched Whistle When Accelerating - Crack in some pipe? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Pitched Whistle When Accelerating - Crack in some pipe?

Burnout

Reaction score
City, State
North Quincy, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
I've found recently that when I'm using the accelerator, either to pick up speed or just keep at constant speed, I start hearing a very high pitched but quiet whistle. A forum I looked at said that it might be a crack in an air intake pipe.

Someone talked about it sounding like the sound of a supercharger whining, and posted this video saying the sound was at the 6 or 7 second mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDHKVL0JnmI

However it's higher pitched that. It's literally as high as a whistle, but it's not extremely loud. I don't mind it, but I've noticed it's gotten more constant whenever I"m accelerating as opposed to just sometimes. Can this be a lead in to something breaking?

Doubtful that anything will break

Just gonna have a high pitched whining to deal with.

But you might also experience loss of power and MPG since it sounds like there is unmetered air entering the engine (assuming that the air intake is cracked) so the Computer might get confused since the MAF is telling it one thing but the O2 sensors are telling it something different.

so if it gets any worse then the Computer may throw a code too (if has not already)

Back