• Register Today It's free!

high rpms

bedking

Reaction score
City, State
ellenton,fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer xlt
I recently just had my transmission rebuilt by aamoco.Every since the rebuild it has been burning a lot more fuel, wasnt till i noticed that the rpms were 500 more than normal, before the rebuild rpms around 2000 at interstate speeds and now they are at 2500. What could have happen during the rebuild to cause it.

Welcome to the forum.
In my limited experience, that sounds like the torque converter is not locking up.
Hit us up with some more specs.

thx foe the reply. the techs at aamco have taken for a test spin and they are telling me i have 98 percent lock-up. to me it doesnt feel like it shifts onto over drive. when i push the button to turn the overdrive off the rpms shoot up 3200 at highway speed. thats all i have for now.

Definately torque convertor not locking up. I had that problem while on a recent trip to AZ. Same RPM as you describe. However, My fuel mileage INCREASED while this happened. Don't make scense to me! This happened in the mountains, west of Santa Rosa, thru AZ and Western CO. Once I got past Co. Springs, on the way home, the convertor locked up just fine. However, upon getting to lower elevation, the gas mileage went back down to 20-21 MPG. I don't understand that.

Back