List of Useful Threads - Hints for a Pre-Pick Up Inspection & Used Ex. Check List | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hints for a Pre-Pick Up Inspection & Used Ex. Check List

Jar0d_82ABN

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Limited 2011
After reading some of the other posts, I decided to try to create a list of items to check to avoid picking up my Explorer in the excitement of the moment only to find issues or missing items a few days later. I combed over the forum to capture other owner’s experiences with picking up their Ex’s or common problems I should look for. Please feel free to add any additional issues or pieces of good advice.

General
  • Check VIN to match paperwork
  • Check existing mileage on odometer and ensure paperwork matches for warranty
  • Check for the Securicode keyless entry panel code and test it

Exterior
Examine the entire exterior of vehicle for any scratches or dents. Check all lights, mirrors, windows, tires, paint, etc.
  • Signs of moisture inside Mirror Marker Lamp on lower front of side mirrors
  • Check to ensure Rear hatch is even and opens correctly
  • Moisture or condensation in headlights or signals
  • Defroster lines all work on rear window
  • No pits, cracks, or marks on windshields or windows and all move as expected
  • Wheels are correct type and free of marks
  • Washers for cameras (if equipped)
  • Paint bubbles on front edge of hood (used vehicle)
  • Check that wipers and washers, front and back are functional

Interior
Examine the interior for all features and ensure everything is in working order.
  • Cool/heated seats working and not loud noise
  • Seats should move in all directions
  • Check Sony Radio/CD/navigation system/etc. all tested
  • Check heat and air condition climate controls on all settings
  • Ambient lighting (if equipped)
  • Rearview Camera and Front Camera (if equipped)
  • Check spare tire area for signs of moisture (used vehicle)

Electronic
  • Check for latest MFT update (currently 3.10 which translates to "CCPU S/W Version
    3.10.16180.EA.0_PRODUCT" on the MFT software screen)
  • Check SD navigation card for those with Navigation. Latest is an A9 (I believe) card.
  • Check My Key fob
  • Lock and unlock doors and liftgate
  • Remote start

Test Drive
Check steering, transmission, ride, and braking
  • Adapt Cruise control/collision warning working
  • Listen for any 'A' Pillar or cowl noises at highway speed
  • Wipers and washers work
  • Blind spot monitoring system works

Items from Dealer
  • Securicode Door keypad code
  • Owner's Manual
  • Sirius radio subscription information
  • Any accessory items
  • Roof rack cross bars
  • Floor mats
  • Cargo shade
  • Mud guards

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is fantastic, thank you so much for posting!!! My ETA is q week from tomorrow so I will be using this soon I hope!

You may want to add:
+ Dealer should pair your phone(s) to the Sync system prior to leaving dealership and confirm you can place and receive calls.

+ Check for spare tire & tools

WOW, awesome list, thanks!

Great List, be sure to also check your paint! We were to pick up our Explorer on Tuesday, while inspecting the body panel fitment I noticed mottled paint in the Silver paint. The mottled look is common in Silver, called Tiger Striping, dealer recd. authorization for repaint of bumpers and now we must decide whether to do so or not?

Wow thats outstanding......and I thought I had OCD! LOL

Wish I had that when I picked mine up.

Check driver door alignment. Mine was terrible (dealer fixed it). A co worker of mine picked his up a month ago and the same door was out of alignment. Someone sleeping on the assembly line?

You left out...Schedule your pick-up for 9 AM because it's going to take all day!

:D

Seriously though, nice list. Lots of things there that most of us wouldn't have thought of. Thanks for putting it together. :thumbsup:

You left out...Schedule your pick-up for 9 AM because it's going to take all day!

:D

Seriously though, nice list. Lots of things there that most of us wouldn't have thought of. Thanks for putting it together. :thumbsup:

+1...checkout took a LONG time!

Great list....it will help many people...this should be a sticky and added comments from the peanut gallery should be edited in (if you have the time).

FYI, I think that everyone should to a full test drive before buying, including a highway stretch. I am not sure where everyone lives, but here, they don't do the highway unless you specifically ask and push the issue. This might obviate the need to check this at pick up time after the sale.

You may also want to add that paperwork for extended warranties and any other "promises" (oil changes, etc.).

R

Need a lunch break in there and a menu! :cool:

Awesome...thanks for all the work on that!!

Check for folding mirrors if you have that feature (std on ltd's). Someone in another thread was missing it.

For those with tow package, the hitch is hidden so just make sure it's physically there and that you know how to remove the cover without breaking it. There's also a bigger alternator and some cooling gear... if you're really into the pre-delivery inspection you can have them show you that stuff.

Good list.
Just a note about the A-pillar buzz. My build date was 3/25 and has a bad case of the rattle/buzz on the right side. Inspection was obvious and I told the salesman I'd be back for the fix before I even signed the papers. Sure enough, as soon as I reached 55 mph I heard it.

Resurrecting an old thread - I did a search and found this. This is an EXCELLENT list - add my vote for this to be a sticky!

Taking delivery of my vehicle today, and I printed this list out to bring with me. Thanks again to the original poster for putting this together.

Hello all, my Ex Limited is being built tomorrow. So I suppose delivery will be in a few weeks. I will be sure to print out this great checklist and use it.

Good Morning All

New member here. I am picking up my 2016 Platinum on Friday, Blue Jeans/ Ceramic and wanted to know if there was anything I needed to watch for when I went to pick it up.

I did go and see it last week and had them replace the grille for a gouge and some small paint scratches (clearcoat only)

Everything else was fine with it. we have a 15 F150 Platinum Blue Jeans and it seems the BJ Explorers are few and far between.......

Appreciate any advice.

Good Morning All

New member here. I am picking up my 2016 Platinum on Friday, Blue Jeans/ Ceramic and wanted to know if there was anything I needed to watch for when I went to pick it up.

I did go and see it last week and had them replace the grille for a gouge and some small paint scratches (clearcoat only)

Everything else was fine with it. we have a 15 F150 Platinum Blue Jeans and it seems the BJ Explorers are few and far between.......

Appreciate any advice.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I found this thread using the "Search" feature and merged yours with it. Keep in mind that this is an older thread so there are a few additional things you may wish to check. I have updated the list but there may be other items. The list is rather extensive and you may not wish to go that far but it is up to you. The dealer should go over the main functions with you and perhaps help you to pair your phone (mine did).

Peter

Thank Peter but those all refer back to pre 2016 Refresh and thats what I wanted to talk about.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank Peter but those all refer back to pre 2016 Refresh and thats what I wanted to talk about.
That is why I updated some of the items. Your check list should basically be the same regardless of the year. I'm sure others will add to this post.

Peter

Back