Hit a deer and need to fix my front grill and headlights-need parts help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hit a deer and need to fix my front grill and headlights-need parts help

Bigham

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hit a deer and did about $1900 damage to the car (99 eddie bauer). A lot of it is cosmetic-grill, headlight, bumper cover, etc.

I want to do as much of the work myself and save some money, so where is a good place for used parts on the East coast?

The main thing I want to do is replace / upgrade the headlights. The stockers are too dim, even with the device that supplies power directly from the battery. What is the best and brightest headlight replacements out there if I have a chance to start from scratch?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HIDs would be your best and brightest. But you must get projectors to fine tune the beam pattern so you don't blind everyone. Look around on the performance lighting sub forum a bit. There's tons of hid info there. Where on the east coast are you by the way?

Did you at least get some venison out of the deal or just a really expensive repair bill? Mmmm venison, I need to go get a snack now. :D

I am around Richmond. VA. DId not get any meat. A hunter said when you kill them like that the meat is not worth is since the inside of the deer would have exploded.

Thats too bad.
Is it bad I dont know of any yards in VA? Um pm a couple guys on here that are from VA. 3 really knowledgeable guys is jd4242, Xeek, Wills05XLT. Will lives in Ashland and the other 2 live in Va beach. I'd send em each a message asking them if they have any yards they prefer.

Thanks

Also, is there a direct link or sticky for the HID upgrade? I was searching and I was all over the place HID vs projectors, etc. I need to get something soon because one headlight at night sucks.

The hind quarters of the deer would have been fine depending on where you hit it

the entire right side of the deer. Massive internal injuries-no blood loss on his part. It was a big 4 pointer. It was gone today, 4 days after

I hit a MARTA bus (long story) a few years ago and had to repair driver's side fender, grill, lights, etc. There is a fiberglass panel that the grill, headlights, etc bolts to that is rarely available in JYs, as it almost always busted up. You will probably have to buy that new. I also bought a new headlight assembly. Got the fender and bumper from a local Pull-A-Part yard - lots of Explorers out there. Good luck.

Amazon has all the grills and lights you need for great prices!

Amazon has all the grills and lights you need for great prices!

Lights work but the bumper would have to be painted to match. Thats easier to just pull off a truck in a JY somewhere.

I've hit multiple deer and had a cop hit me. The insurance company totalled mine and sent me a check. I started calling junkyards until i found the same color Explorer. I bought the front clip for $300. Hood, fenders, bumper, grill, header panel, all the lights, bumper covers, fog lamps.

Start at www.car-parts.com. Its a list of wrecking yards and you can search by vehicle and color.
should be easry enough around Richmond.

Anyone use the Anzo replacements?

You said there was a lot of damage to the front end.. do you need parts other than headlights? I have most all of a front clip if you need anything. No hood tho

Damage wound up being localized to the grill cover, left headlight, bumper cover and probably the bumper mounts / mounting bracket. I am still debating if I am even going to replace the bumper cover. It has a split in the middle right over the lic. plate bracket

Back