hit a deer... should i get it fixed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hit a deer... should i get it fixed?

loserdude86

Reaction score
City, State
Sebewaing, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
i hit a deer last week. it hardly did any damage at all. it broke my headlight. small scratch on drivers fender. and tweeked the bumper slightly. i have a 500 deductible... should i get it fixed? i figure i could talk them into painting my hood which really needs to be done cause it has a buttload of stone chips, and to match the fender that would be repainted. and also, id have then leave the front bumper as it is and have the rust on my back bumper and nerf bar thingys fixed.

or, should i just forget about itand just run it into the ground? i paid 1500 for it. it'll never be perfect again. so, just run it and call those battle scars? i still want to get my back bumper and running boards repainted tho. they look like crap.

heres a picture of the side that hit the deer. not realy even noticeable...
n161500274_30943844_9589.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The headlight, yes...

look around on ebay you could probably get clear headlights for $200 or a stock replacement for less and then your headlights fixed for much less. It's ultimately up to you if you should fix it or not, I would fix it but I'm a little **** about my vehicles.

i put a rag behind the headlight. it broke the mounts, so that temporarily fixed it. ill probly just let it go tho. and im **** about my vehicles too, but im also cheap. this vehicle will never be mint. and the rumor is that it has a rebuilt title. but thats just a rumor ;)

a rag??

Just curious, are you saying you tied the headlamp in? Can the lamp just fall out?

some replacement headlight assemblies sold in ebay comes with the adjustable mounts.. its just that not all of them perfectly fit in there.. i had to make the mounting holes bigger in the diamond headlights that i bought to make them fit in the stock adjuster mounts...

Ouch!

Then that sounds expensive... :(

But it's worth the repair...

Driver side headlight? I may have one rolling around in the garage... Are the body mounts ok for the light to pin to? Let me know...

i only wish i was that luck, the little ******* that hit me caused $4800 to my truck, and i have the same thing, $500 deductible. i wanted them to write it off so i could buy it back at a cheap price and fix it myself!

Have you checked with your insurance for a deer deductible? I know in Michigan mine is $50 if I hit a deer, as it is a discounted rate. As much as I like Venison, if it's a slow bowhunting year- sorry Snowball, but you're getting a new grille... :D KIDDING!!!

Hmmm.

I guess it depends on what the future of the vehicle is.

Continuous project until you die?
Daily driver until it dies?

the way I am, I'd have to get it fixed, but it's all about what you need and wheter you think it's worth it or not

Back