• Register Today It's free!

Hole in Valve Cover

TTUEXPLR

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I was driving to Houston today and my X started smoking. I pulled over a noticed there was a large hole right below the oil fill cap. How could this of happend? I dont drive like a bat out of hell and I change my oil regularly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did your rocker explode? :D Pull the valve cover off and see what it looks like it there. Is this a 4.0L OHV? How is it running?

Rust? My covers were looking pretty bad before I removed them and hit them with the wire wheel and a few coats of high-temp paint.

What engine do you have? The V8's can use any SBF cover that clears the alternator and T/B. Not sure about the V6s, but check your local junkyard or www.fordpartsnetwork.com . Put on a new gasket, your old one is toast.

For a temp fix, JB weld on some sheetmetal.

I have 4.0 SOHC. I talked to the mechanic today and he said my valve guide fell apart and when it fell apart the engine through a piece of it throughthe valve cover. Both of us called Ford today and they said they didnt know how this happend and have never heard of this happening. Anybody heard of this?

Any help or comments are appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Ben

Ill make sure my dad gets some pics on his way home

Yes, defiantely get pics. Not sure about a valve guide falling apart.

My first thought was maybe a valve getting stuck down (bent maybe) and releasing the hold on a rocker, then that maybe get thrown out.

I have 4.0 SOHC. I talked to the mechanic today and he said my valve guide fell apart and when it fell apart the engine through a piece of it throughthe valve cover. Both of us called Ford today and they said they didnt know how this happend and have never heard of this happening. Anybody heard of this?

Any help or comments are appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Ben
My 98 Explorer has a hole on the driver's side valve cover right behind the oil filler hole. Motor still making noise like lifter. Cam positioning sensor right there also. Did this have any thing to do with it?

He hasn’t been online in 17 years.

Back