Hood Latch Stuck

Lazzman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4wd- V6 Sohc
I replaced the little rubber hood bumpers on my truck a year ago and at that time decided to, for some stupid reason take of the hood latch mechanism and then re-install it.

Ever since that time I have had trouble opening the hood, it has remained on many occasions jammed shut and will not pop up into the semi locked position. I can figure that I put the latch back not in the exact position it was in originally.

Well now I have done it good, the battery needs to be replaced and I cannot get the hood open.

I remember when this happened before, someone on the board told me that there is a manual latch that can be accessed from the grill area with a screw driver and it will take the tension off the spring latch and allow the hood to open, hoping someone knows how to do this so I can open the hood.

Also the excessive tension on the hood latch spring would indicate that the latch has too much force on it and needs to be adjusted, but would I need to move the latch assembly up or down to relieve some of this tension?

Thanks very much for the help.

Have somebody push down while you pull the release. That should get it open if indeed it's adjusted to tight.

I had to reach in the right hand side of the grill and push the cable out of the slot then pull on it.

Thanks.

I am going to give this a try.

We are supposed to get slammed with snow tonight and I need the truck up and running for the morining.

Thanks again :D

Back