Hood prop installation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hood prop installation

DR98FL

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
Wanted to share my installation of a 98 Ranger hood prop rod on my 98 sport. Use a 98 Ranger and later hood prop rod and rubber bushing. Dorman hood prop retainer kit # 45396. Key is to drill the holes just big enough to squeeze the bushings in. I modified the plastic shelf/cover to fit the rod in. Hood shuts fine. Dremel tool to slot the plastic piece.
hood prop open.jpg

So if you replace the hinges in the back. That hood keeps itself up once open.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071K5SHJZ/?tag=serious-20

I only mention this because I did not know the hood was supposed to stay open by itself. 10 years and 6 mechanics in guy tells me about that. I then replaced the rear hatch and glass supports. My truck had never once in my owning it had the back hatch open on its own. Same with the window. Now, I have to get them started but, after 50% open or less those things will finish opening with the new supports. The glass before would fall and hit you and the door would stay open but you had to push it the full way.

Your fix is a lot better then the 2x4 I had under the passenger seats though!

Wanted to share my installation of a 98 Ranger hood prop rod on my 98 sport. Use a 98 Ranger and later hood prop rod and rubber bushing. Dorman hood prop retainer kit # 45396. Key is to drill the holes just big enough to squeeze the bushings in. I modified the plastic shelf/cover to fit the rod in. Hood shuts fine. Dremel tool to slot the plastic piece.
View attachment 328624
Nice looking engine bay

Back