Hood Prop - Tired Of Struts Failing | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hood Prop - Tired Of Struts Failing

Well, I later warned the compatibility table was wrong for the ST. The W.A.S. WSG-148's were the ones they sent me the second time and they worked great. IDK how/if the part number relates to the strut's strength. Sorry it's not working out for you.

BTW, I had spoken the Julie also. She was super helpful.

I contacted the seller Friday, and had the replacements Monday. Yep, WSG-148. I haven't tried them on the ST yet, but they work on the Mounty. So, if you're going to order from these people, order the WSG-148 the first time. Customer service is great, but why not just get the right ones the first time?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I contacted the seller Friday, and had the replacements Monday. Yep, WSG-148. I haven't tried them on the ST yet, but they work on the Mounty. So, if you're going to order from these people, order the WSG-148 the first time. Customer service is great, but why not just get the right ones the first time?

Computer lookups... They can make looking up part fast and easy, but they're only as good as the database. When I was a computer programmer we called it GIGO (garbage in, garbage out).

You'd think by now Julie would have stuck a post-it note on her computer re ST struts. As it is every set they sell is wrong and then they end up giving away the second set for free.

I picked up 2 prop rods at the salvage yard last week. One was off a 1st Gen Explorer/Ranger that mounts on top of the radiator support. That one won't work on a 2nd Gen Ex or Gen 1 ST. The radiator support is flat on the early models, and not on the STs and Gen 2 Exs, so while you could mount the prop rod on the later ones, there's no place for it to lay down when not in use. The second prop rod was from a '99 Ranger - see the '04 Ranger pic in post # 10 above. That one will work on a ST or 2nd Gen Explorer, UNLESS you have the "tool tray" cover between the grille and radiator support. That prop rod lays down along the front of the radiator support, and the cover obviously blocks that. The hole it fits into is also blocked by the cover. I don't know if that hole is there on the Exs and STs or not as my STs have the cover. Looking at the pic above, I'm guessing it isn't. The rod isn't bolted on like the earlier style. It just fits in a hole with a rubber grommet. It could be used on an as needed basis by putting it in the hole in front of the battery visible on the far right side of the second pic in post #10 above. A larger grommet would be a good idea as that hole is a little bigger than the hole it's supposed to mount in. Just have to store it behind the seat or in the back.

Bump! Old thread, I know. I got some "Boxi" brand hood struts, gas charged, from Rock Auto. Anyone else try these? Can't believe how heavy the hood is, heavier than the loooong hoods that were on my Cordoba and Satellite back in the 70s Also contemplating fabricating a steel hood prop as backup. The wood stick I've been using, actually fell when O'reilly workers were installing my new battery. I've been reading here that gas hood struts don't seem to last long.

^^^^^^ Huh?

In my experience, the 2nd Gen Hood is 100% aluminum, and so light it's held on with (4) tiny 12 MM Bolts.

I'd guesstimate that it weighs MAYBE 30 - 35 LBS total.

Due ONLY to it's bulk, my hood removal partner is my wife, and the 1st time she assisted me she said couldn't believe how light it was in comparison to its length and width.

In fact, the hood is so light, and it's removal provides me with so much extra access and additional light to the engine bay, that it's usually the 1st thing I take it off when doing Intake Plenum O-Ring Changes, water pump removals, valve cover gasket exchanges, and anything more complicated than spark plugs.

Again, in my experience, 2nd gen hood gas struts from RA last about 8 years...

^ My '98's original factory hood is definitely not aluminum, has strong attraction to a magnet (just checked this a minute ago to be sure I wasn't making things up, lol) and weighs probably around 75lbs, maybe more.

Joney wrote: Can't believe how heavy the hood is, heavier than the loooong hoods that were on my Cordoba and Satellite back in the 70s

Are you comparing to their weight once off the hinges? Don't know about those two vehicles in particular but the '70s vehicles I had, had hood hinge springs rather than struts or prop rods.

I'd imagine the cheapest struts at Rock Auto are about the same as the crappy ones I have that started this topic. I've replaced them again under warranty since I started this topic, maybe twice more.

My backup plan for them is a baseball bat as a prop, or vice grips on the strut rod. Never did get around to installing a prop rod but still thinking about grabbing one off a Ranger 80's S10 pickup the next time I find myself in a junkyard that has a donor.

^^^^ My Sport had an Aluminum Hood

My 99 is steel

^^^^^^ Huh?

In my experience, the 2nd Gen Hood is 100% aluminum, and so light it's held on with (4) tiny 12 MM Bolts.

I'd guesstimate that it weighs MAYBE 30 - 35 LBS total.

Due ONLY to it's bulk, my hood removal partner is my wife, and the 1st time she assisted me she said couldn't believe how light it was in comparison to its length and width.

In fact, the hood is so light, and it's removal provides me with so much extra access and additional light to the engine bay, that it's usually the 1st thing I take it off when doing Intake Plenum O-Ring Changes, water pump removals, valve cover gasket exchanges, and anything more complicated than spark plugs.

Again, in my experience, 2nd gen hood gas struts from RA last about 8 years...
^ My '98's original factory hood is definitely not aluminum, has strong attraction to a magnet (just checked this a minute ago to be sure I wasn't making things up, lol) and weighs probably around 75lbs.

Are you comparing to their weight once off the hinges? Don't know about those two vehicle in particular but the '70s vehicles I had, had hood hinge springs rather than struts or prop rods.

I'd imagine the cheapest struts at Rock Auto are about the same as the crappy ones I have that started this topic. I'd replaced them again under warranty since I started this topic, maybe twice more.

My backup plan for them is a baseball bat as a prop, or vice grips on the strut rod. Never did get around to installing a prop rod but still thinking about grabbing one off a Ranger the next time I find myself in a yunkyard.
Thanks, Fast Dave, for the input on how long these last. you must have had this aluminum hood as an option from the factory. JC: I think mine had springs also, back then. Which weakened after a while, had to use a long stick. My Explorer hood is steel, and heavy as hell.
^ My '98's original factory hood is definitely not aluminum, has strong attraction to a magnet (just checked this a minute ago to be sure I wasn't making things up, lol) and weighs probably around 75lbs.

Are you comparing to their weight once off the hinges? Don't know about those two vehicle in particular but the '70s vehicles I had, had hood hinge springs rather than struts or prop rods.

I'd imagine the cheapest struts at Rock Auto are about the same as the crappy ones I have that started this topic. I'd replaced them again under warranty since I started this topic, maybe twice more.

My backup plan for them is a baseball bat as a prop, or vice grips on the strut rod. Never did get around to installing a prop rod but still thinking about grabbing one off a Ranger the next time I find myself in a yunkyard.
Thanks, everyone for the answers! Going to install the replacements, and locate a prop rod (or make one with steel rod thread ends and put washers and nuts on it, just in case.

Very timely resurrection of this thread! I was already planning a trip to the salvage yard to check out a 2002 Sport Trac their website said they had. Didn't find the ST, but they had several Rangers with the correct prop rod. I picked up 2, along with the grommets and nylon U-shaped pieces the rods rest in (which don't come out without breaking, but I think will still work). I'd forgotten I had one of the Ranger rods until I just saw it in a post above. Still don't know if I want to cut the plastic cover to allow them to lay down, but I'll figure a way to make them work.

Heh. When I was a kid my dad had a '51 Merc (this was '68 or so) that had a pushbutton start. Turn the key on, then push the button. He always let me push the button. When I see them nowadays and folks wonder at the technology, I get a laugh.
My dad had a 50 Ford F-1 pickup that was the same way lol

2nd gens never had aluminum hoods. IF they did they’d have had the paint issues they’ve been dealing with for ages. 2nd gens only had steel body panels.

Yep. I was startled when I removed the hood of my '99 Ranger and the '99 Explorer that I used as a drivetrain donor - the Explorer hood was steel and easily twice the weight.

Bump! Old thread, I know. I got some "Boxi" brand hood struts, gas charged, from Rock Auto. Anyone else try these?

The cheapest ones for my 96 on Rockauto were Strongarm 4026 for $5.39. I’ll be purchasing some soon. I don’t see any “Boxi” brand…

So looking through my hood strut receipt scans, topic started in Feb '16, so that dates one pair struts replacement, now see a receipt for replacement again in Dec 2018... so Autozone Mighty Lift #E95537 quality hasn't gotten any better, still roughly 3 yrs lifespan, so they should fail again as soon as it starts getting colder out this winter.

Funny thing is, they keep increasing in price at Autozone, started out $15 ea. w/lifetime warranty in 2004, but now $26 w/1yr warranty. I know, inflation, but this exceeds inflation when you consider the primary draw I ever had to Autozone was for the extra paid you got the lifetime warranty (vs NAPA, KOA or other local auto parts stores at the time), which I still enjoy for brake pads! Well that and back in 2004, I hadn't heard of Rock Auto.

Come to think of it, that means the original Motorcraft only lasted 6-7 years so maybe I shouldn't complain too much to have spent $15 ea for a lifetime of hood struts... it's just that once 3 years comes around and it's winter, I have to remember not to stick my head in without new struts or a support.

Back