• Register Today It's free!

Horsepower Modifications

Concept156

Reaction score
City, State
Golden, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Limited
I own a 1995 Limited Edition Explorer 4.0L OHV, and I want to squeeze all the horsepower that I can out of it. So far I have found a supercharger offered by Explorer Express. I would also like to replace the exhaust from the cat back, computer chip, and anything else that will up the hp with minimum maintenence. Does anyone have any suggestions for other modifications and how will the overall ride be affected by these mods.

------------------
Hello :)
1995 Limited Edition Explorer, 4.0L ohv

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Concept156,
Welcome. It looks like you have the right idea. If you go with the BBK supercharger from Explorer Express, it comes with a Superchips chip. You can contact them and they will tell you what else will need to be changed in order to get the most out of the BBK. With the supercharger you will have to go with a high flow filter, a bigger MAF,Throttle body and the injectors, I think, need to be changed. Then of course you will have to put headers, and a cat-back system to allow the exhust to breath. Once all that is done, you'll have a petty fast truck. Hope this helps. Dead Link Removed
P.S. I hope you know how much money you're going to spend doing this. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

I am going to move this one to Under the Hood

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Calgary, Alberta
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

Hey, thanks for the help. And about the money, well, I was saving to lift my Explorer but there are no lift kits for 1995 Explorers. So, I have some money to do some other mods. Oh, if I get a supercharger, should I replace the fuel pump with a high flow pump? Thanks again.

------------------

Hey, I'll keep you posted, no problem. Quick question. What is MAS, (mass air sensor???)? I am kind of new to engine stuff, so the terminology is kind of confusing. Thanks for your help.

------------------

I see you're from Boulder. Me too! Welcome to the club. Yes, MAS is "Mass Airflow Sensor." I know someone already mentioned this, but headers are important if you're lookin' for hp.

------------------
Brian Corff
'95 XLT 4x4 V6
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick it once and you suck forever.

[This message has been edited by bcorff (edited 02-11-2000).]

Concept-You are probably right about the fuel pump. I think you'll need a fuel pump that will be able to keep up with the demands of the supercharger, hi-pro injectors, larger throttle body and MAS. The stock one will most likely be okay, but I think its not a bad idea to do the fuel pump too. Keeps us updated. I would like to know how they all work for you once you've done it.

Hey Brian. We should get together sometime and go four wheelin'. Question. I have heard that headers are not always really good, because they tend to loosten off of the mounts after a few months. Is this true, and if so is there a particular header that doesn't do that?

------------------

Another question? I have been reading about ignition systems. They say that they improve mileage, hp, torque, and eliminate pinging. They also say that if you get an ignition computer it will adjust to the altitude at which you are driving, and since I drive over Loveland Pass (elevation 10,000+) I would like something that can adjust to altitude. Can ignition systems really do this?

------------------
I don't care how crazy they are. Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them.
1995 Limited Edition Explorer, 4.0L OHV

Back