• Register Today It's free!

Hot Brakes

Ratty

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport
I had a screaching problem with my brakes originating from the back of my 02 Explorer. The left, rear, pad was past the rivets, there was no pad left. The rotor showed the damage. l pulled the discs and put new rotors, new pads and new emergency shoes on. Also, the e-brake cable was frozen on the left.
Now i have a new e-brake cable on both sides and new shoes for the e brake inside new rotors and new rear pads running agand the system is running **really, really hot**. Melt your skin touching any rotor (front/back) in the system.

Is there a central spring near the master cylinder that i am missing? why would rear brakes be hot??

I had a screaching problem with my brakes originating from the back of my 02 Explorer. The left, rear, pad was past the rivets, there was no pad left. The rotor showed the damage. l pulled the discs and put new rotors, new pads and new emergency shoes on. Also, the e-brake cable was frozen on the left.
Now i have a new e-brake cable on both sides and new shoes for the e brake inside new rotors and new rear pads running agand the system is running **really, really hot**. Melt your skin touching any rotor (front/back) in the system.

Is there a central spring near the master cylinder that i am missing? why would rear brakes be hot??

i know on my front brakes they got hot as well like you're describing, but that's after driving the 15 miles in city to get home from school.. that's what happens when there's friction, heat is created. anyway to get a laser temperature meter and get the heat reading off of it?

When I did my truck with new shoes and rotors they did get really hot but after a couple of trips to work it went away. I did check to make sure it was not binding (stuck caliper) The after market rotors are alot thicker than OEM (I think)

Yeah - the heat isn't coming from using the brakes, it is mostly from shoe and/or pad "drag".They are super hot without using them agressively. Haven't been able to get a temp reading. I am really curious why one side would have worn so much faster than the other. why wouldn't both sides be equally worn down? Is there a partitioning valve? I am wondering if that isn't also causing the increased "drag".

Back