How are the 2002 Explorers? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How are the 2002 Explorers?

I wouldnt do that trade. You can get an 04 for 11K.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i take it your getting a 4door cuz i got a 02 2door sport and it has a solid rear axel in stead of rfs. and a LOT of parts on it can swap over with 01 and older exsplores and rangers and yes its wird. i havent had it long but i havent hand any problems other than from it siting for over a year. i just want to know why a 4door is so differnt.

i take it your getting a 4door cuz i got a 02 2door sport and it has a solid rear axel in stead of rfs. and a LOT of parts on it can swap over with 01 and older exsplores and rangers and yes its wird. i havent had it long but i havent hand any problems other than from it siting for over a year. i just want to know why a 4door is so differnt.

The 02 4 doors were completely redesigned from the previous generation. Your sport was based off the second generation, thats why you can swap parts with the older one.

No real issues with our 02 either at over 100k miles. Luck of the draw i guess.

Likewise.

Guess I'll keep mine until it drops. Now at 103K miles and 8 1/2 years and the only routine non-wear items replaced were front upper ball joints (did myself for <100), front wheel bearings at 73K miles (also did myself), a rear HVAC blend door actuator (about $50), and a 4x4 module (about 150, I think). Other than that it's been just brakes and battery kind of stuff. Still have yet to pull the original spark plugs but will this winter.

Seems like many have had significant problems with 2002's, but not all, or even the majority. However, it may be bucking the odds.

Still, 9K+ seems high for an '02, but it may be perfect.

My 02 continues to run just fine. 127k on the clock.

02 explorer

I personally beleave the 02 models are ok.
I've sold many of them.
They do have one main issue and that is their tranny.
A quick sign that says stay away is if the OVERDRIVE indicator on the dash is blinking.....If it is, stay away cause the tranny is about to go.

They have other little issues but the main one is their trannys

I also mainly refering to the 4.0 v6 models; I'm not a fan of the v8 so my knowledge is limited on them.

I've loved the way our '02 drove in the early days and just enjoyed the heck out of that vehicle. However, as it went beyond 100,000 miles I became amazed how many problems our '02 had. We literally babied the heck out of it and at 100,000 miles the tranny started to go. A little beyond 120,000 miles the front left timing chain cassette let go and the thing now sits in my garage all torn apart.

I know some folks will think that a vehicle that gets 120,000 miles doesn't owe you anything but when it's been meticulously maintained, never driven hard and basically starts to fail, you have to ask how it was engineered.

I would say that it was a great vehicle when it was new and under warranty but at this point in the vehicles life cycle, stay away from it as it will bring nothing but headaches to you!

Back