Progress on the 2002 Explorer Sport Trac | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Progress on the 2002 Explorer Sport Trac

Any way to get the oversized torque bit in the bolt head without doing anything?

Any way to just break the intake manifold on thay bolt and remove it anyway?

We should be able to source a sohc intake

Maybe raising the back of the trans a little can gain you some working space?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@410Fortune After being momentarily flustered about the back intake bolt situation, I decided to hold off working on this one until I can get the 2002 over to my shop to have access to concrete and an engine hoist. I can't see a way to break the bolt without damaging the intake and the plan, according to my wife, is to fix her existing engine in the truck. So I'm trying to avoid breaking anything. Sourcing a junkyard intake could be a time consuming task and the back bolt on a used intake might do the same that this one did. Replacement intake
So after the radiator and the rest of the peripherals or removed, I can lift the engine up, remove all the motor mount parts, let the engine down to rest on the front cross-member. I might can get that bolt out or at the worse, be able to access the transmission bell-housing bolts. Then I can lift the engine out and deal with the intake bolt. Very early February, someone recommended that I get a swivel head 13mm to use for the bell-housing bolts. I located a 12mm/13mm swivel head ratcheting wrench, cheap, on Amazon. I forgot all about it until today when we were play"guess what's in this package"? The wrench showed up.
12-13swivelhead.jpg

that's a nice wrench!
need a 10mm / 11mm one too
and the 13/14

I have had a "few" SOHCs come through the shop this winter I have a few intakes if you need one

I'm going to start a translation dictionary for fixfordirt's words.
primaty=primary
ipdated=updated
tensionets=tensioners
i-I
howveer=however
neeer=newer
remembr=remember
:D sticky? LOL

@410Fortune I was looking at a 6 piece set in the same brand. 6 wrenches, 12 sizes from 5/16" to 13/16" for working on the antique classic Mustangs with SAE (standard) for right at $60-. I haven't looked to see if they have a 13/14 or I'd rather have a 14/15 in addition to a 10/11. The one that I bought is 12/13. I rarely encounter a 12mm on the Explorers but the Toyota s have a lot of 12mm bolts.
It will be a while before I get back on the 2002. At work I need to add 14'x14' of concrete slab to make another "shade-tree" spot to safely jack something up or use an engine hoist.

Back