james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
there is a very good article in this month's issue of Truckin' magazine. basically, the author asked the question "when is a wheel just to big to look good?" were does it stop? when we are all riding around on wagon wheels? so, my question is this. on a STREET explorer, whats everyones opinion on the size limit? remember, this is for an explorer. 17's look small on a expedition or tahoe, but they are much bigger and need a bigger wheel to get that "perfect stance". if you want to check out the article, i believe its on page 3 or 4...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think that for a street explorer 20's are a perfect size. definatly not bigger though. 18's look good too, but i think 20's look the best.

I'm going to have to say that 26 inch rims are the "ceiling", as they say in the article. Unless truck manufacturers start making huge wheel wells, you just cannot fit a rim any bigger than that, even with a rubber band tire. Also, the problem is laying frame with big rims. You see that Sierra on the cover with 24's? It's not even close to the ground. Even if it where body dropped, the wheels would be taller than the fenders. :eek:

IMO, anything that is mid-size is pretty much limited to 20 and below. Yes, you can put 22's on an Explorer, but looks dumb because you can't drop and it's definately not practical.

Since the general conception is that we've gone just about as far as we can go with the "big rims" era, it'll be interesting to see the new trends and will start popping up. :redexp:

i too think 18-20 is the max... anything bigger then that looks dumb.. and does not look right on explorer's.

Mike

20s on the 4 door and 18's on the sport (even though I have seen great looking sports with 20s on them and I have loved them) But for other suvs like the tahoe nothing lower then 20 looks good but then again anything over 22 looks dumb..... Really 26's just look retarded.

Originally posted by RoadEnforcer
Really 26's just look retarded.

IMHO....I have to second that.

I don't think you beat the look of nice clean 20"s on an Explorer. 22"s are too big, 18"s are good. 17" just look stock. I finally got my 20" wheels and have to get the tires and get them on. I have a photoshop preview on my homepage. But it is not droped like I am now. I can't wait!

i actually say an expedition with 24's 2 days ago and it looked really good. im not a big fan of rediculously large rims but this expedition looked awesome.

22's....24's....look awesome on full size trucks!

i will have to agree... i have seen 24's on an Expedition (the Shaq limited) and it looked d@mn good. to me, the monster wheels (on a fullsize) only look good with a slightly taller tire and a mild drop. 24's with band-aids look like crap, but 24's with some sidewall and a lot of width combined with a mild drop look good. 20's are the limit (IMHO) for an X. i guess i am just a "little wheel" guy, because if i had enough $$$ to get whatever i wanted for my X i would go with 18's. nothing against 20's on an X, im just going for more of a "sporty/factory/lightningX" look.

Originally posted by james t
i will have to agree... i have seen 24's on an Expedition (the Shaq limited) and it looked d@mn good. to me, the monster wheels (on a fullsize) only look good with a slightly taller tire and a mild drop. 24's with band-aids look like crap, but 24's with some sidewall and a lot of width combined with a mild drop look good. 20's are the limit (IMHO) for an X. i guess i am just a "little wheel" guy, because if i had enough $$$ to get whatever i wanted for my X i would go with 18's. nothing against 20's on an X, im just going for more of a "sporty/factory/lightningX" look.

I feel the same way. My cap is 18's, but I won't say that 20's don't look good on some other people's trucks, I just won't put them on mine.

I've seen plenty of Caddie Escalades around here with 22's an up..IMHO, they look sweet. For an Explorer though, I'd say 18's for everyday driving, 20's for mostly show, just becasue the ride will be that much rougher.

I have 17's on mine and I'm definitely wishing I'd have gotten the 18x9 Chrome bullitts instead :rolleyes:

They just don't get noticed that much if they're under 18"

Anyone have pic's of something with 24's or 26's? I'm not too big into streets and haven't really seen anything bigger than 22's...and even those look giant. I like most of the people on here that have put 20's on their X...how well do those fit after dropping? I like the dropped looks on street x's, so whatever can fit while getting a good 2 or 3 drop gets my vote...

New shoes on the whip and I wake up bubbly. :D

I got with the biggest that'll fit.

15s on thirty three inches, oh wait you said street :)

Actually it's "put new shoes on the whip and wake up TO bubbly":D
I was wondering yesterday when the wheel size crazy was going to end. It's stupid. 22's are big enough for any car.

i have 20's on my X and sometimes i look at another with 18's or 17's on it and think it looks better fitting to the vehicle than mine do. i love my rims but i wish i had another set of 17's just so i could have a normal sized clean looking ride that didnt stand out too much but still looks respectable.

Back