How do I adjust the recline on the drivers seat on a 2 door? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I adjust the recline on the drivers seat on a 2 door?

GR Gold

Reaction score
City, State
Glen Rose, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer 2 door 4x2
Just purchased a 2000 Explorer Sport 2 door and I cannot figure out how to adjust the drivers seat recline position. When I pull up on the lever, the seat back will lean forward and the seat can move forward as well allowing rear seat access. However, when I slide the seat back and both the seat bottom and seat back latch in place, it is reclined too much. Is there another lever I cannot find that just changes the recline position. I looked in the owners manual and there is only mention of the manual seat adjustment that seems to apply to the 4 door drivers seat and not the 2dr that would also have to slide forward for rear seat access. I combed the archives here and read about the recall on the bolt, but I do not have any open recalls on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 1999 Sport (previous generation to yours) has a single handle/kick lever piece on the PASSENGER seat, accessible from both the front and rear seat, which opens the recline and when leaned all the way forward, opens the slide (to allow rear passengers in and out). Does your DRIVER'S seat have the handle accessible from both front and rear?

The driver's seat in mine sounds different from yours; I have a power driver's seat with manual recline and lumbar support, handle accessible only from the front seat. As far as I know, leaning it all the way forward doesn't open the slide; I think mine can only be slidden by power controls. Does your driver's seat control look like this?

20230130_190525.jpg

And does your passenger seat look like this? (Notice the black nub on the rear of the passenger seat; that is the kick lever. It is only on my passenger seat, and when you kick it, the recline handle moves.)

20230130_190506.jpg

My 1999 Sport (previous generation to yours) has a single handle/kick lever piece on the PASSENGER seat, accessible from both the front and rear seat, which opens the recline and when leaned all the way forward, opens the slide (to allow rear passengers in and out). Does your DRIVER'S seat have the handle accessible from both front and rear?

The driver's seat in mine sounds different from yours; I have a power driver's seat with manual recline and lumbar support, handle accessible only from the front seat. As far as I know, leaning it all the way forward doesn't open the slide; I think mine can only be slidden by power controls. Does your driver's seat control look like this?

View attachment 438645

And does your passenger seat look like this? (Notice the black nub on the rear of the passenger seat; that is the kick lever. It is only on my passenger seat, and when you kick it, the recline handle moves.)

View attachment 438646
This is what mine looks like
B6CF642A-169C-4E87-AE1A-B10865967896.jpeg

i think its here no?

tempImageSbQWxp.png

i think its here no?
Yes, that will allow it to recline as well as flip forward. I guess I didn’t explain it very well. I cannot get the seat to sit up as upright as the passenger seat will. Perhaps something is broken.

Yes, that will allow it to recline as well as flip forward. I guess I didn’t explain it very well. I cannot get the seat to sit up as upright as the passenger seat will. Perhaps something is broken.
ohhhhhhh i see. im quite sure in this one the passenger side goes further forward tilt, but id have to check that to know for sure

@GR Gold It could be broken or worn out, or some object could be jammed in there from a previous owner that causes it to not stay in an upright position (think a candy wrapper or piece of fabric preventing teeth from meshing). Does it still have its full range of forward and backward tilt, but just doesn't stay upright? Does it "flop" forward or backward at all, when the handle is not pulled? Does it feel unusually loose or tight at the desired position, or at any other particular positions?

To just change the recline position, can't you just pull the handle but not slide the seat? On mine, the passenger slide only opens when the seat back is tilted all the way forward; there is however a separate handle on the front bottom to allow the front passenger seat to move forward and backward without tilting. So one handle only slides, and the other handle tilts and slides. Does yours have both handles?

I know this is a lot of weird questions but I have probably half a dozen Explorer Sports like yours at a local scrap yard and if I can find a matching seat, I might be able to replicate your issue.

Tbh, that seat back is pretty upright, and may just be the furthest up it goes until the side enters ‘slide forward mode’

I combed the archives here and read about the recall on the bolt, but I do not have any open recalls on this.
PITA, but the only way of checking the suspect bolt(s) is removing the seat cover(s) and looking. GL

@GR Gold It could be broken or worn out, or some object could be jammed in there from a previous owner that causes it to not stay in an upright position (think a candy wrapper or piece of fabric preventing teeth from meshing). Does it still have its full range of forward and backward tilt, but just doesn't stay upright? Does it "flop" forward or backward at all, when the handle is not pulled? Does it feel unusually loose or tight at the desired position, or at any other particular positions?

To just change the recline position, can't you just pull the handle but not slide the seat? On mine, the passenger slide only opens when the seat back is tilted all the way forward; there is however a separate handle on the front bottom to allow the front passenger seat to move forward and backward without tilting. So one handle only slides, and the other handle tilts and slides. Does yours have both handles?

I know this is a lot of weird questions but I have probably half a dozen Explorer Sports like yours at a local scrap yard and if I can find a matching seat, I might be able to replicate your issue.
Yep. The seat base was broken just forward of where the seat back hinge bolts on. Removed it and got out the mig and plated it over with some 14 gauge I had laying around. Hopefully it will not crack again. Time will tell. Thanks to everyone that responded!

@GR Gold Nice! Hopefully that stays nice and secure from here on.

I got a shifty seat in my Rango I've been pushing off working on... May be in the spirit of the occasion, I should get under there and fix it, ha ha.

Back