How do I find the correct u-joint for purchase? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I find the correct u-joint for purchase?

geosnooker2000

Reaction score
City, State
Somerville TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Eddie Bauer V8 4x4
I am going to rebuild my front drive shaft. Seen a couple of videos on the Youtubes. Looks like fun. I have found the front drive shaft rear CV joint rebuild kit for 40 bucks at AM auto parts, but I cannot find the front U-joint and be sure that I am buying the right one (right size, diameter, etc.) what do you call it in order for it to come up on a parts search? I've tried searching for "1999 explorer AWD front drive shaft front u-joint" and I get enough different sized u-joints that I don't feel confident in ordering one. Am I just relegated to go down to AutoZone and ask the dude to hold my hand?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd make sure that front joint is a good quality unit. Otherwise they typically fail in short order.

For the front I joint I'd just pull the shaft and take it in with me and match it up, or measure it cap to cap installed with a 4 inch micrometer.

You could also get creative with a pair of washers and a set of calipers. Place the washers in where the snap ring is meaaure the total OD and then subtract the washers thickness out.

I bought mine through Amazon and Rock Auto, their application data was correct.

BTW, I'd not buy that cheap CV rebuild kit, it's made by Detroit Axle which is a low quality brand. I have one I just put into my 99 V6 front shaft, but who knows how long they will last. I didn't know about that brand before I got it. I have installed the Dorman version before too, it's doing find still, after 45k miles and a year of mail delivery. That one is about $80, I just got another one to do my 3rd truck.

I bought a front drive shaft from Detroit Axle before I did the 4406 swap and it arrived with the CV end already in pieces.

If you look at the chart I linked in my previous post you'll see that there really aren't that many different u-joints, until you get into the metrics.

On the EX there are 2, the 1310 in the front and 2 1330s on the rear D-shaft.

Then there are those of us with the 4406 who have to use a 1310/1330 conversion joint up front because the Expeditiion/Navigator shaft uses a 1330 joint.

Thank you all!!!!

spicer number for 1310 is 5-153x.
roscoe

Back