How do I remove the chrome out of the emblems "ford" script..... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I remove the chrome out of the emblems "ford" script.....

Skyhiranger1

Reaction score
City, State
KC, MO area
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 RANGER STX
When I seperated the 2 pieces of the ford emblem, some of the chrome came out of the ford script. Now I want to remove all the chrome out of the ford script, so I can paint the script portion a different color.

I know some of you guys have done this.

Thanx guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heat it up and peel it out with a knife. It can be time consuming.

I got all of the adhesive out of the script without much problem. What is left is the paint like stuff (the chrome stuff). How do you get that out????
I can't use paint thinner, nail polish remover, etc. because of the plastic. The chrome stuff won't come out of the script by heating, will it??????

LIGHTLY sand it with some fine grit paper.

You can use Thinner to try to loosen it up. I let one soak in an acetone bath overnight, and it really didn't help much.

Originally posted by Hartman
You can use Thinner to try to loosen it up. I let one soak in an acetone bath overnight, and it really didn't help much.

Really. I figured acetone/paint thinner would eat right through the plastic. I may have to try paint thinner, if I can't get an answer from someone who has actually removed the chrome from the script.

Originally posted by GaSouthern1
LIGHTLY sand it with some fine grit paper.

Have you actually removed the chrome out of the script by using sandpaper?????

I know some people on here have actually painted the script a different color. I need a way remove the chrome out of the script that has actually been done (and not f**ked up the script).

oh ok, i didnt know you meant out of the lettering. How about a steel wool pad and some paint thinner?

use a small screw driver and put some sand paper on the end and just rub rub rub

like i said it will take lots of time, well more than you would think. and paitents, but it will look awesome when you get done

to paint the lettering and oval part a seperate color, simply paint the entire emblem once you remove all the chrome script, and let it dry then sand the part that was origianlly blue back to a clear and paint that whatever color you wish...

goodluck

Ok. I'll try the sandpaper.
Thanx EC, I knew it was you who had painted the script a different color.

NP,
post pictures when you get it done

Back